• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pit Boss Help

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
I'm thinking about whether I want a Pit Boss and have a few questions.

What are the tell tale signs of one being fake?
How do they fit compared to a Juliet?
Do the metal parts scratch or scuff easily?
Is $400+/- a good price for one?

Thanks!

i've read mixed reviews about the fit/comfort of the frame, some say its big and heavy, some say its really comfortable. guess it's personal preference.

Search is your friend :wink:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-sunglasses-discussion/2001-how-spot-fake-pit-boss.html

$400 is worth it if you can find it with all the boxes, bag, and paperwork in brand new condition. They're comfortable and about as heavy as the X Metals. I personally love the fit. Small issue i have with the Gunmetal frame: skin oil smudges show up easily, but just as easily cleaned off. My Ti frame doesn't have this problem. I have yet to wear my Tron frame, so i can't answer there. Not sure about scratching of the frame because i'm not actively trying to and doubt anyone would :lol:

Another thing about Pit Bosses is that i heard you can't change the lenses on them. I've heard people trying to send them in and it costs about $200 for the swap from Oakley. So if you're going to buy one, take REALLY good care of it.

The fakes I've seen so far are not very good, so I would not worry too much about that. Try to find a store that has them, and take a look at them in person. You should be able to tell a fake pretty easily afterward, even the better ones.

They are much larger than a Juliet, not really similar at all so it's hard to compare. That said I don't find them very comfortable. They are ok for short periods, but the stems are too tight for long term wear. Even though they are made of O matter, the stems are thicker and taller than you would have on, say a radar or jawbone, so they are stiffer and do not flex as much. Some people are fine with them though.

The metal plates will show small scuffs and scratches, but so long as your careful with them it should not be a problem.

$400 is about the going rate on ebay and they will come up on some retail sites at around that price from time to time. I got mine new at a bike shop for around $300 + tax, and a buddy got some from another shop for $265. I think bike shops and other small dealers have a hard time moving them, so they can be a good bet if you want one cheap.

Search is your friend :wink:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-sunglasses-discussion/2001-how-spot-fake-pit-boss.html

$400 is worth it if you can find it with all the boxes, bag, and paperwork in brand new condition. They're comfortable and about as heavy as the X Metals. I personally love the fit. Small issue i have with the Gunmetal frame: skin oil smudges show up easily, but just as easily cleaned off. My Ti frame doesn't have this problem. I have yet to wear my Tron frame, so i can't answer there. Not sure about scratching of the frame because i'm not actively trying to and doubt anyone would :lol:

Another thing about Pit Bosses is that i heard you can't change the lenses on them. I've heard people trying to send them in and it costs about $200 for the swap from Oakley. So if you're going to buy one, take REALLY good care of it.
Search is not my friend! It's evil! :p

$200 for a fricken lens swap? WTF? :(

The fakes I've seen so far are not very good, so I would not worry too much about that. Try to find a store that has them, and take a look at them in person. You should be able to tell a fake pretty easily afterward, even the better ones.

They are much larger than a Juliet, not really similar at all so it's hard to compare. That said I don't find them very comfortable. They are ok for short periods, but the stems are too tight for long term wear. Even though they are made of O matter, the stems are thicker and taller than you would have on, say a radar or jawbone, so they are stiffer and do not flex as much. Some people are fine with them though.

The metal plates will show small scuffs and scratches, but so long as your careful with them it should not be a problem.

$400 is about the going rate on ebay and they will come up on some retail sites at around that price from time to time. I got mine new at a bike shop for around $300 + tax, and a buddy got some from another shop for $265. I think bike shops and other small dealers have a hard time moving them, so they can be a good bet if you want one cheap.
Thanks for the info! I've been hesitant about asking the reps at the store to try them on as I feel they only want to allow people to try if they want to buy. LOL

I should check bike stores but I'm unsure if the ones around here sell Oakleys.

Maybe if you walk in with a pair of X metals, you'll look more inclined to buy? Shouldn't be a problem though. The whole concept of going into a store is to touch and feel them. No one i know ever buys sunglasses without trying them on first.

Maybe if you walk in with a pair of X metals, you'll look more inclined to buy? Shouldn't be a problem though. The whole concept of going into a store is to touch and feel them. No one i know ever buys sunglasses without trying them on first.

Better yet, walk in with your XX 24k's.

They'll ask YOU to try them on.
I've been finding that every time I go to the O Store or the Vault here I always have on a pair of X-Metals. I think it's subconsciously beaten into my brain now. LOL

Back