• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Plastic Arm Washers.... Do I Need Them?

OakleyGuru379

Professional Lens Scratcher
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Illinois
My juliet arms were squeaking, so i took them off to see what the deal was, and it seems to be the plastic washers in between the orbitals and the arms. Is it imperative that i reinstall them, or can they be left out?

It adds a bit of resistance and slides better than metal on metal contact. My guess is your plastic washers have either been tightened too much that they ripped or just worn out. I would leave them in.

Without the washers would mean metal to metal contact and the arm may be too loose even with the screws fully turned in as i have experienced. Better to leave them in. If condition is too bad, i suggest you may walk into Oakley SC to get them replaced free. Another tip which is very CRUCIAL even the most ardent fans of Oakley do not know. There are two surface texture to a new plastic washer. Look the the new washer, one side is glossier than the opposite side. The smoother and shinier side are meant to face each other so that the rougher side are in contact with the orbital and the metal stem for grip. This way of installation will give you the smoothest sliding feel and yet minimise the plastic washer wear rate. Observe and you will get the idea and the rationale behind. Another tip: dap a tiny winy winy bit of lubricant on the shiny side before you install, do not grease on the rougher side, this will prolong the lifespan of the washer and prevent sqweaking and tearing. Good luck on replacing....!

Another fine tuning tip on washer installation: if you have the skills and patience, try to align both washers above and below the stem in center of axis, meaning when the 4 washers are stacked up, they are in straight alignment and should not be 'Oval' in shape depicting they are off centred. I am a perfectionist to this very crucial steps for good personal feel, knowing all setup are done optimumlly. Perharps it is just me on Xmetal requirement. Be patience and device your way of installation for a perfect fit.

to install multiple washers use a lil grease on the arms and washers to hold in place,then slide into the frame and line everything up with a toothpick,the toothpick will center the washers and stems perfectly and wont mess up the threads.ive done hundreds already that way.when your done wipe of any excess grease.

to install multiple washers use a lil grease on the arms and washers to hold in place,then slide into the frame and line everything up with a toothpick,the toothpick will center the washers and stems perfectly and wont mess up the threads.ive done hundreds already that way.when your done wipe of any excess grease.
Yeh, this is also one of my favourite way of installation. You can improve further upon this step by using a jig to slightly open up the orbital opening and hold the gap wider before you install the washer. Tat way will ensure that the washers are not damaged during the centering and shifting around. Great mind thinks alike.

Back