1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Glocker71

Glocker71 Oakley Beginner

Quick question for the forum... Does polarization have any effect on the appearance of a tint when looking at it, not through it?

Basically, my daughter is looking at a pair of RX oakleys and is set on blue. She prefers a brighter shade. I'll be ordering through oakleysi, so sapphire is out. I have deep blue and ice, both polar. Deep blue is what she likes, but the fact that you can see my eyes pretty well rules that out with her, which leaves ice. If I order non-polar, will the blue be a little lighter than if I order polar?

I am aware of the pros vs cons of polarization; this is simply a question of aesthetics.

Thanks,

Mike

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Lumbergh

Lumbergh Oakley Enthusiast

It's the same looking AT it whether it's polar or non.

3. Glocker71

thanks for the quick reply.

Just wanted to make sure. Thought I remembered one of the sales people at the local vault saying that the polar would make it darker on the outside... although she was talking about VR28 black iridium polar which has a noticeable difference in transmission rates, 18% non vs 10% polar.

4. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Ice polar is darker to look through than non-polar (by 1% if I remember correctly), but the difference isn't noticeable externally.

5. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Yea don't think there is a case where this isn't true (I can't think of one), so keep that in mind if you're going for the darkest you can get.

6. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

All of the above is correct.

In all my lenses where I have both polar and non-polar versions, the iridium looks the same; they can only be told apart (at a glance) from the etching.

7. Glocker71

Thanks again guys. I'll just go ahead and order the polar for her.