• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarization - Oakley's among others...

Seed65

Oakley Beginner
Good day,

I am curious about polarization used in today's sunglasses, incl Oakley. I remember back in the early 2000's polarized sunglasses did not allow you to see an LCD screen at all. Today's polarized Oakley and other sunglass brands allow you to see the LCD screen now, but when you tilt your head about 30 deg, it blocks the visibility to the screen. Did the manufacturers figure out how to adjust the position of polarization film to allow visibility to an LCD screen? or did they lessen the strength of the polarization?

Case in point - I read the the polarization used in Oakley's 00 Black Iridium Polarized has less polarization strengh that that of the Oakly Black Iridium Polarized. Is this true?

Just curious about these things.....any insights?

Thanks!

What has changed is the properties of the LCD, LED and OLED screens. Many now are manufactured without producing polarized light and are visible at any angle using polarized glasses. iPhone and newer Samsungs for example. I have a Canon 7D that I cannot see in portrait mode, only landscape. My newer 5DIII is just the opposite, visible only in portrait mode. It depends on how the panel was manufactured. I work with many LED and LCD computer monitors and so far all of them produce polarized light. A friend of mine took a Mercedes back to the dealer 3 times when his wife complained the radio display was intermittently turning off. Mercedes replaced the radio. I asked him about polarized sunglasses, that was it.

Latest Posts

Back