• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Etching Question

X_Metal32

Oakley Beginner
See my updated question at bottom of this post....

Original question....Has Oakley ever made a Polarized lens (specifically for the Oakley Juliets) WITHOUT the Polarized etching on the lens? I ask because I ordered lens from Oakley before and I swear they were polarized and they don't have the etching which I prefer my lens to have no writing on them. If so, what year did they start etching Polarized lens? All I see are etched lens on ebay for the polarized.

If anyone has a pair of etched polarized, is it etching really noticeable from people looking at you, have you heard?

Last edited:
Not on Juliet. Some of their new stuff that's custom don't have the etched lense

There was a time where the etching was done on the inside of the lens instead of the outside. It made the word POLARIZED less noticeable but it was there.

I notice companies selling Polarized lens on ebay much cheaper than the Original OEM Oakleys on there.
Typically I understand you get what you pay for, so just curious what is the difference between Oakleys Polarized lens and competitors Polarized?
I bought a lens from Walleva once and noticed the lens from Oakley were a little thicker. Not sure if Oakleys Polarized have better quality but it what aspects from competitors Polarized lens? I don't like to pay for "The Name" but instead "The Quality"....

So all in all, do any competitors polarized hold up to Oakleys polarized?
If any do, which competitors rank the closest to Oakley if not right on par with Oakley?

Oakley makes polarized lenses that don't have the "POLARIZED" etching so that when people order their eyewear in custom they can still get a polarized lens but get their own etching done like a last name or jersey number. There isn't a year or anything like that correlated to a non etch

I notice companies selling Polarized lens on ebay much cheaper than the Original OEM Oakleys on there.
Typically I understand you get what you pay for, so just curious what is the difference between Oakleys Polarized lens and competitors Polarized?
I bought a lens from Walleva once and noticed the lens from Oakley were a little thicker. Not sure if Oakleys Polarized have better quality but it what aspects from competitors Polarized lens? I don't like to pay for "The Name" but instead "The Quality"....

So all in all, do any competitors polarized hold up to Oakleys polarized?
If any do, which competitors rank the closest to Oakley if not right on par with Oakley?

there's a difference in quality and if I remember correctly it's largely due to the fact they're manufactured differently. Most cheap polar lenses are done as an after-manufacturing process where they lay the film onto the lens like a water transfer; the oakley polar lenses are added during fabrication process. You can easily tell how it's done by holding them up against an LCD screen; the former would show irregular distortions as if the polar transfer film overlapped. Think about wrapping a lens with a piece of paper - it'd crease and overlap at certain areas.

the thicker lenses from Oakley is already worth the money as they're better optical qualities with HDO - polarized or otherwise. The walleva lenses suck big time; I've ever only owned 1 set as a gift and that broke (ie. split laterally like as if one had split their finger nails) within a few days. Absolute trash.

I came across a pair of juliets that had Polarized Fire Lenses in them and the etching was not there. Seller said he had a friend that worked in the Rx dept at Oakley HQ and custom cut them for him. So they exist as a custom, but not for retail sale.

In addition to the bonding process mentioned by jdd32 vs. gluing a polar layer on, the OEM lenses are both cut from the same polarized blank, ensuring the polarization orientation of both lenses are exactly the same...

And yes if you get polarized Juliet custom cuts machine cut, you will lose the etching and end up with unetched OEM polarized lenses...

Back