• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Etching Question

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum, but thought I'd share this -
I recently bought a pair of Juliet's - Polished/Fire iridium polarized (non serial), and when they arrived they had no etching on the lense. I've done the polarised test and they definitely look like the real deal + the seller is a genuine guy who told me they came straight from the Oakley LA factory.
I sent some images to Oakley UK, who then wrote back and told me they're just standard fire iridium. I'm not convinced, so I've sent them into Oakley's for some further testing. If you're interested, I'll post their response once I receive them back...

A salesperson in Oakley Waikiki showed me 2 identical lens (for flak I think) both the same colour and both polarised. One had the etching one didn't. The box without the etching had a letter after the sku to show it was w/o etching. Can't recall the details at all.

Seller told me Oakley sometimes makes without etching versions as some prefer them that way. Not sure if that's an on-request thing or in production.

Keep in mind these are mass produced items. Things will be missed and etchings aren't there when it should be. Factory errors happen all the time. I have seen my fair share of polarized lenses that didn't have the etching. It happens especially with lens colors that have both a non polarized and a polarized option.

OCP polarized lenses were often unetched, to give the buyer the option for custom etching.

When you say you did "the polarized test", you mean rotating them in front of a LCD screen?

When I ordered my OCP Radars with polar lenses, they didn't allow me to custom etch it because of the fact that "polarized" was etched in the lenses...

OCP polarized lenses were often unetched, to give the buyer the option for custom etching.

When you say you did "the polarized test", you mean rotating them in front of a LCD screen?

Yep, that's correct, I tried with some 24k lenses and the fire polarized. I'm no expert, but I watched a how to video on YouTube! There was definitely a big difference- with the 24k lense the colour remained constant, but with the fire iridium the colours were all over the place, very psychedelic!

Last edited:
Well, the rainbow colors are a good indicator, but I actually meant where you rotate the lenses so their polar filter aligns with the polarized light of the LCD display, blocking it. Looks like this:

20160528_164959.jpg

20160528_165006.jpg

There is another method which does not require an LCD screen. Take a known polarized lens put in front of a light source and rotate the lense you are testing in front of it. If you notice a change in the light coming through, i.e. it dims at some point, you have a polarized lens.

Basically polarized lenses filter out light waves in a specific orientation. If you block with one and then block the wavelength coming through with another it should cancel most of that out also. You will not get 100% light blocking as the polarization filter is 100%.

Edit: No need to use a know polarized lens just get both lenses you are interested in and rotate on in front of the other. The same principle applies .

Back