• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Good/Bad for Youth?!?

Oakley1975

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Any opticians or experts that can help clear this up? I've heard conflicting responses from local opticians that polarized lenses are not offered in Quarter Jackets because youth eyes are still developing and could be "bad" for still developing eyes, however in OCP they offer a polarized lens option. If there is truth behind this, at what age is it "safe" to get our younger generation into polarized lenses?

Any opticians or experts that can help clear this up? I've heard conflicting responses from local opticians that polarized lenses are not offered in Quarter Jackets because youth eyes are still developing and could be "bad" for still developing eyes, however in OCP they offer a polarized lens option. If there is truth behind this, at what age is it "safe" to get our younger generation into polarized lenses?
I've heard the exact same thing.

@Chris A Hardaway may possibly have input on this.

@OakleyFrankFMJ thanks for tag.
@Kuualoha75 there is no truth at all to the rumor you've heard. Polarized is 100% fine for all eyes, beneficial even. It reduces glare so anyone, even children, would squint less. They still offer 100% UVA and UVB protection and that's going to always be the primary concern for protecting eye health. I can only speculate, but my opinion would be that they are trying to keep the cost down to sell more "youth" options. That's why no polarized stock option.

The only thing "detrimental" about using polar so early is just potentially increased sensitivity when you do without it. Doubt it's permanent, but it's like when you've been wearing sunglasses for so long that the first time you walk out in the sun without them hits you hard. Like Han Solo exposed to the Tatooine desert when he comes out of carbonite; in time the eyes readjust and he can see Ewoks on Endor (brb doin dishes).

UVA/B/C as well as impact protection outweighs such a downside imo.

80% of our lifetime sun exposure happens before the age of 18... So I'm all for the protection too. I guess I believe the body to be very adaptable, so I'm not sure any long term adjusting effects would happen to the iris/ciliary muscles. I doubt there is any medical journal that has measured such an issue.

I have been told that your eyes are fully developed at about the age of seven...

I must say - Personally Polarised is not good anyway and can be bad for the health of an adult...? How?

Trip hazards from not being able to see reflections properly on steps of lower stairs.
On the water you can't read the swells properly so a boating accident is on the cards :eek::rolleyes::lol:

Back