• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Good/Bad for Youth?!?

So Black Iridium lets 10% light in, and Black Iridium Polarized lets only 9% light in. Yet they are not darker on the eyes ?

Correct. Frankly I challenge anyone to tell 1% light trans difference in a proper double-blind (no pun intended) scientific test, but the "darkening" from tint is uniform. The light blocked by polarization is from a specific orientation, not across the board and not through darkening, and though it may translate into a lesser overall trans %, from a wearer's perspective you just get less glare; you squint less. But the level of tint is the same.

Last edited:
Correct. Frankly I challenge anyone to tell 1% light trans difference in a proper double-blind (no pun intended) scientific test, but the "darkening" from tint is uniform. The light blocked by polarization is from a specific orientation, not across the board and not through darkening, and though it may translate into a lesser overall trans %, from a wearer's perspective you just get less glare; you squint less. But the level of tint is the same.
Thanks for the info

I have several oakley polarized glasses, other brands as well, i actually don´t like them that much, i don´t like the effect when looking down on pavement tiles, gives a weird look i think

when these are wet it gives a strange confusing look imo

pitch07.jpg

Last edited:
OMG,

So I must feel like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber? Lol

Ok, ok, you can punch me as much as you want.

It would be a nonsense to argue with you when I am trying to promote our lenses.

I just ask for you "the benefit of the doubt". I make no searches in Google, I just use my ten years of expertise as an optician.

But I admit it, I talked about photophobia like if it was the real disease. I just wanted to talk about more light sensitivity. Sorry.

It´s a fact what I say about people who use glasses the whole day, but, of course, you can do what you want.

Chris A Hardaway, please don´t be so harsh with me. I respect all that you say, but please respect what I am saying. Or at least, like I have said before give me "the benefit of the doubt".

You like searching on the internet, please read this article thread.

Clear Polarized Lenses?

You are right about the categories of the lenses, but that categories are related to Sunglasses in general, not polarized lenses in particular. They are for all of them, polarized or non-polarized.

@kronin323 : "And the polarization layer is not tinted, it doesn't make it darker."

Of course, it´s not tinted, but the film has a light absorption AT LEAST of 20%. So it does make it darker. If you remove the polarized layer from a lens with the polarized film it´s going to be clearer. That´s why the manufacturers have to change and reduce the amount of tint in sunglasses that are going to have the polarized layer. Because a non-polarized sunglasses in Category 3, would become in a Category 4(at least) if the polarized layer is added.

But like I said at the beginning of this post, I don´t want to argue anymore.

I am sorry if I have offended you or made any mistake.

But please, can anyone tell me what is the "BURN" thing? I am a newbie here, please don´t be harsh with me.

Thanks for your time

Back