• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Lenses-Really Worth It?

Just something to note, if you tend to read alot on your smartphone or are on your laptop very regularly while you are on the move...the polarized lens give a hint of rainbow-ish effect which can be very annoying...

Just something to note, if you tend to read alot on your smartphone or are on your laptop very regularly while you are on the move...the polarized lens give a hint of rainbow-ish effect which can be very annoying...

Depends on the screen type. In the best cases it's a rainbow effect, in the worst cases screens can be completely unreadable...for instance, the climate control unit's screen in my STS-V...completely unreadable with my Radar's Black Iridium Polarized lens...however the main LCD is almost completely unaffected.

As noted, there are some significant disadvantages to Polarized lenses that make them a poor choice for "everything" use.

I'm looking for some shades... I haven't owned sunglasses in YEARS.

My uses:

GOLF
Vacation coming up in Jamaica
Summer days at the Lake
And I live in NY so there's the snow issue.

Maybe I don't need Polarized... I don't know.

Well you DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT want a polarized lens on the golf course. The polarizing filter messes with depth perception and surface reflectivity, the two most important visual attributes you need to properly read a green.

However, on the water, polarized lenses are EXACTLY what you want. This is precisely the reason Oakley has developed the "array" concept. So you can have exactly what you need for exactly what YOU do (and so Oakley can have alot more of your money).

I'm looking for some shades... I haven't owned sunglasses in YEARS.

My uses:

GOLF
Vacation coming up in Jamaica
Summer days at the Lake
And I live in NY so there's the snow issue.

Maybe I don't need Polarized... I don't know.
If you're getting sunglasses based purely on convenience and have been fine for years without them I'm sure the polarized pairs aren't entirely necessary. But it's definitely one of those things you won't know until you try it.

Depends on the screen type. In the best cases it's a rainbow effect, in the worst cases screens can be completely unreadable...for instance, the climate control unit's screen in my STS-V...completely unreadable with my Radar's Black Iridium Polarized lens...however the main LCD is almost completely unaffected.

As noted, there are some significant disadvantages to Polarized lenses that make them a poor choice for "everything" use.

Turn your head slightly and the screen should be visible. If I put my ear to my shoulder all of my displays are blacked out.

I don't have an issue with any of the mentioned "disadvantages". I play sports with polarized lenses and have never had depth issues, but I'm far from pro. Let's chalk those up as "you may notice" or "there's a good chance". The effect isn't entirely consistent from person to person.

I don't have an issue with any of the mentioned "disadvantages". I play sports with polarized lenses and have never had depth issues, but I'm far from pro. Let's chalk those up as "you may notice" or "there's a good chance". The effect isn't entirely consistent from person to person.

Yup, that's precisely why I said they are not good for "everything" use. Some people can get away with them as general lenses, but those people are the exception...most of us (especially when you consider the type of person that makes up the majority of Oakley's intended demographic) have such a broad range of requirements for our visual instruments that one lens (hell, one pair even) can't possibly fulfill.

All that said, I think it's clear that Oakley's polarized lenses should not be recommended for all-around use.

i use my android phone quite a lot, and when i turn it sideways to type a text message the screen almost dissappears.
also when i go to the gas station and i use my card, when wearing polarized, the keypad screen dissappears and i have to take my glasses off to ssign/type pin number

The aforementioned issue with viewing LCD screens is the primary reason why I personally can't wear polarized lenses most of the time. My job as a pilot flying a jet with multiple LCD displays, it's annoying for me to see a rainbow flash or have my screens black out by moving my head around. Not a super huge issues since at normal viewing angles I can see them fine, but I just find the distraction of them disappearing at certain angles annoying. When I wear sunglasses, I personally like to feel like I'm not really wearing sunglasses, if that makes sense. So I try to find lenses that are very clear with good contrast and color representation.

If it means anything, I've been flying for over 11 years without using polarized lenses just fine...and I'd wager flying is one of the more "glare inducing" activities one can do.

The aforementioned issue with viewing LCD screens is the primary reason why I personally can't wear polarized lenses most of the time. My job as a pilot flying a jet with multiple LCD displays, it's annoying for me to see a rainbow flash or have my screens black out by moving my head around. Not a super huge issues since at normal viewing angles I can see them fine, but I just find the distraction of them disappearing at certain angles annoying. When I wear sunglasses, I personally like to feel like I'm not really wearing sunglasses, if that makes sense. So I try to find lenses that are very clear with good contrast and color representation.

If it means anything, I've been flying for over 11 years without using polarized lenses just fine...and I'd wager flying is one of the more "glare inducing" activities one can do.

This is the reason that the SI Oakley's do not come with polarized lenses. Several guys that I know who are test pilots have explained this one to me. You can't see the optical displays in some units like a heads up display.

I keep a couple different pairs of glasses in the car for whatever the day brings. Gold for bright or overcast. Black or Ice for Bright. Fire, Emerald,+Red for semi bright to overcast. Some of these are polarized and some aren't I try to keep one of each in the cars. I usually walk out of the house wearing something polarized. But will change to a different pair in the car if needed.

I would suggestion just to decide if you even like polarized. Go buy a cheap pair of sunglasses one polarized and one not. This will help you decide what you prefer. Then go and buy a good pair of sunglasses for the optical clearity. You'll be able to tell the difference once you do.

For your first pair of Oakleys, I would recommend going non-polarized.

For your inevitable second pair, get them polarized.

Back