• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized trippin' thread

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
One of the cool things about polarized lenses is sometimes you get these cool trippy rainbox effects that you don't see with the naked eye. There have been a few times when it was absolutely stunning, and I keep telling myself I should take pics through the lenses of that sorta stuff.

Well, that's what this thread's for - if anybody cares to take pictures of cool stuff they can only see with polarized lenses (and I'm NOT talking about the aliens from "They Live"), post 'em here.

I'll start. From a plane window at 35,000 feet. The pic is a little darker than it really looked like but you can still see the rainbow effect:
20140422_135433.jpg

Same view, naked eye:
20140422_135441.jpg

One of the cool things about polarized lenses is sometimes you get these cool trippy rainbox effects that you don't see with the naked eye. There have been a few times when it was absolutely stunning, and I keep telling myself I should take pics through the lenses of that sorta stuff.

Well, that's what this thread's for - if anybody cares to take pictures of cool stuff they can only see with polarized lenses (and I'm NOT talking about the aliens from "They Live"), post 'em here.

I'll start. From a plane window at 35,000 feet. The pic is a little darker than it really looked like but you can still see the rainbow effect:
View attachment 3839

You must be a '80's kid who enjoyed WWF to get that reference. :cool-33:

I bought a pair of Fast Jackets from the DE section of the Vault, which came with +Red lenses. As I was wearing them, I started to notice weird rainbowing on windows, and I realized that the lenses are polarized! Strange thing is that the lenses don't have the "polarized" etching, and as far as I know, +Red was never available polarized for the Fast Jacket (I don't think there was an OO Red Polarized Fast lens either). I love these little oddities that show up in DE sometimes.

I bought a pair of Fast Jackets from the DE section of the Vault, which came with +Red lenses. As I was wearing them, I started to notice weird rainbowing on windows, and I realized that the lenses are polarized! Strange thing is that the lenses don't have the "polarized" etching, and as far as I know, +Red was never available polarized for the Fast Jacket (I don't think there was an OO Red Polarized Fast lens either). I love these little oddities that show up in DE sometimes.

They offer the Fast Jacket in OO + red iridium. It's the white frame in XL, it's been available for a long time.

http://www.oakley.com/products/6721/27370

Sorry, don't mean to be a d!ck here but I see this a lot and want to make sure people aren't confused:

There's no such thing as OO +red. It's either OO red or +red (aka positive red). OO red is contrast base tint while +red is neutral base tint.

That link is to OO red FJXL.

Sorry, don't mean to be a d!ck here but I see this a lot and want to make sure people aren't confused:

There's no such thing as OO +red. It's either OO red or +red (aka positive red). OO red is contrast base tint while +red is neutral base tint.

That link is to OO red FJXL.
Not confused...it's a poor evolution of a great lens they no longer make. They substituted it for every application and color-way which previously used the +red iridium polarized It started with the regular radar and continued since. Since they bastardized it I will continue to bastardize my reference to the OO polarized.

Latest Posts

Back