• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Vs. Non Polarized

I usually end up buying polarized lenses for my glasses if they dont already come with it. It doesn't bother me to spend the extra money to get something I really want. Example: I really wanted the canvas fuel cell but was pissed that they were charging $200 for it and it wasn't polarized. So I bought a set of grey polarized and switched them out.

Its true that you will notice the effects of polarized lenses most on water surfaces but a polarized lens will get rid of glare from any surface that sunlight bounces off of. It will make everything a little more clear, especially in bright light, and will be a lot easier on your eyes over long periods of sun exposure.

Its true that you will notice the effects of polarized lenses most on water surfaces but a polarized lens will get rid of glare from any surface that sunlight bounces off of. It will make everything a little more clear, especially in bright light, and will be a lot easier on your eyes over long periods of sun exposure.

That's why I've never understood the argument that polarization isn't needed in urban environments...its needed almost more than in a location with water because of all the various points of reflection (cars, buildings, reflective asphalt)...plus there's a lot more water in the city than you might think. That said, there are an awful lot of lens colors and certain models that are not equipped with polarization so you can't always go that route

Depends on your eyes I see flashes when I look at water through Polar lenses and moving colors on various surfaces Its a problem abt 1 in 50-75 have.

Depends on your eyes I see flashes when I look at water through Polar lenses and moving colors on various surfaces Its a problem abt 1 in 50-75 have.

That will happen occasionally to everyone due to how a polarized lens actually works. A polarized lens is a lens with a film on it that polarizes the light that comes through it. that film absorbs light that is aligned similar to the molecules in the film. This is why when you are wearing a polarized lens and you tilt your head to the side the effect of the polarized lens basically disappears.

That being said, on a moving body of water not all the light rays reflected off surfaces are going to be parallel to those molecules in the polarized lens, but Oakley lenses are supposed to be able to filter approximately 99% of that glare

That will happen occasionally to everyone due to how a polarized lens actually works. A polarized lens is a lens with a film on it that polarizes the light that comes through it. that film absorbs light that is aligned similar to the molecules in the film. This is why when you are wearing a polarized lens and you tilt your head to the side the effect of the polarized lens basically disappears.

That being said, on a moving body of water not all the light rays reflected off surfaces are going to be parallel to those molecules in the polarized lens, but Oakley lenses are supposed to be able to filter approximately 99% of that glare

An Oakley Polarized lens does not have a "film on it that polarizes the light". One of the things that makes an Oakley Polarized lens so great is that the polarization is infused into the lens. No polarized film needed.

Taken from Oakley.com : At Oakley, we make our lenses differently. Better. We use infusion molding, which produces one comprehensive, single-layered lens–no glue, no sandwiching, no mustard or mayo. Just the clearest Polarized lens you can find.

This is just one of the reasons this website exists in the first place.

An Oakley Polarized lens does not have a "film on it that polarizes the light". One of the things that makes an Oakley Polarized lens so great is that the polarization is infused into the lens. No polarized film needed.

Taken from Oakley.com : At Oakley, we make our lenses differently. Better. We use infusion molding, which produces one comprehensive, single-layered lens–no glue, no sandwiching, no mustard or mayo. Just the clearest Polarized lens you can find.

This is just one of the reasons this website exists in the first place.

I apologize. I have never researched the Oakley specific polarized lenses, I was just trying to sum up the basic idea of what polarized lenses do and how they do it. Your post gives even move reason why polarized lenses are worth the extra cash

If u are someone who notices the difference to the point where its a necessity..I don't see a difference between friends' dvd and Blu ray but to some its huge...maybe if I watched movies more than once I'd notice but it just seems to be about $- for me...I will always be an Oakley man but my father swears when fishing Maui Jim tops Oakley for clarity w/ polarization...I gave him both so he'd have no reason to be swayed...

If u are someone who notices the difference to the point where its a necessity..I don't see a difference between friends' dvd and Blu ray but to some its huge...maybe if I watched movies more than once I'd notice but it just seems to be about $- for me...I will always be an Oakley man but my father swears when fishing Maui Jim tops Oakley for clarity w/ polarization...I gave him both so he'd have no reason to be swayed...

Did you get your Father the one of the fishing specific polarized models? They come in Shallow Blue Polarized (for fresh water) and Deep Blue (for salt water). In the Monster Dog, Half Jacket, Pit Boss....maybe a Flak...not sure.

Latest Posts

Back