• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished Juliet - Which Generation To Get *UPDATE - Pics On Page 2*

Onderon

Oakley Beginner
While I'm content with my Carbon Juliet, I prefer the swag I feel when I wear my Polished Penny so what better than to get a pair of Juliet in Polished?

Which brings me to my dilemma. I recall someone here saying that early Polished Juliet were badly pitted and my own pair of Penny also contained some pitting.
Will later models fix this issue and if so which year should I start to look for or am I better off getting my hands on the first pair I see floating around due to rarity etc?

While I'm content with my Carbon Juliet, I prefer the swag I feel when I wear my Polished Penny so what better than to get a pair of Juliet in Polished?

Which brings me to my dilemma. I recall someone here saying that early Polished Juliet were badly pitted and my own pair of Penny also contained some pitting.
Will later models fix this issue and if so which year should I start to look for or am I better off getting my hands on the first pair I see floating around due to rarity etc?

It was the early 1st generation Plasma X Metal frames that tended to discolour, these were the releases with a chalky white appearance. I have never known any manufacturing problems with any X Metal Polished frames. Frames that suffered from 'pitting' were the Magnesium glasses if they were worn, these were Mags Four, Four s, Switch, and M Frame, although I have only personally experienced the problem with the Switch.

What on a polished pair can "pit"?

I'm guessing that the OP was suggesting that his pitting issues were quality control related, where the finish wasn't consistent in some spots on those frames. I would guess that 'pit' marks could have been left during the raw forming process (from the molds) and just not properly grinded down and polished out during the finishing process. I'm no expert though :redface:.

I'm guessing that the OP was suggesting that his pitting issues were quality control related, where the finish wasn't consistent in some spots on those frames. I would guess that 'pit' marks could have been left during the raw forming process (from the molds) and just not properly grinded down and polished out during the finishing process. I'm no expert though :redface:.

I'm no expert either but he may be talking about face oil or something similar causing "smudges" on the frame? I wouldn't think they would be permanent because I highly doubt something like that would affect the frame material.

20130221_145553.jpg

Sorry for the ****ty camera photo but this is what I'm referring to. Notice the 3 black spots on the lower orbital to the left of the gasket. After examining it under magnification I can say that it isn't due to the finish chipping off but a mold error which escaped QC. It's fairly minor that sometimes it just blends in with the reflections and most likely Oakley has fine tuned their process and maybe I'm just being a bit neurotic about my next pair.

Attachments

• 20130221_145553.jpg
    20130221_145553.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 172
Yea. Pitting. Caused by the rough casting methods of the first metals. It's noticeable on early mars and Romeos as well as Juliet's.

I heard that the new juliets are x-rayed before leaving the factory to check for any stress points, which were a problem with earlier models.

Forgot to update you guys but I just purchased a pair of polished Juliet with oakley ruby lenses and red rubbers. Seller assures me that he has only wore it once at a wedding but I try not to get my hopes up to high lawl.

Forgot to update you guys but I just purchased a pair of polished Juliet with oakley ruby lenses and red rubbers. Seller assures me that he has only wore it once at a wedding but I try not to get my hopes up to high lawl.

They sound freakin' awesome! Post pics asaygt!

Latest Posts

Back