• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished Romeo?

this was a great post, but there was no answer on how to paint the R1s CHROME!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404930069.473474.jpg

Zohhhmmmmbieeee... Lol not you xman, just this thread being revived in general. But the whole polishing thing would be something i wouldnt mind doing, If anyone wants to part with their metals for a little bot over a week (shipping time included) since I am pretty busy woth life, work, etc. but the only downside to polishing is being able to accept the fact that the finish that covered some, or a lot, of imperfections will now be removed and expose the blemishes. Basically some shiny holes and, hmm, ugh, divots? So, for a limited amount of time... Whomever sees this post, and wants me to polish their xmetal romeos, XS, halfX, or any other disassembled metals (i would rather not take apart your coupler, for the juliet, r2, xx, penny, & mars owners just because i know they can get damaged if the rivets are really stuck) i would do them for ...$50 that, covers, materials, labor, and return shipping. Labor of love, but I also do not want to get flooded by people wanting me to rub them for free :)

Just guessing how long it takes to do one of these, that's a dang cheap labor rate...

Holy zombie batman.

What you're calling "chrome" we call "polished". Can be done with some patience, a dremel and some jeweler's rouge. I'm not an expert but with that extra info, and your search kung-fu, you'll be all set...
I promise to say polished instead of chrome from here on out...

Is it such a bad thing to bring up old posts? I need answers! Help a brother out haha

Depends on the content of the old post. If the content is still relevant and one's revival post adds actual value to that content, go for it. But, in general, that's rarely the case...

I have polished many frames and x metal gear. I have found the imperfections stand out way to much for me. I polished out a Jury and a hatchet for which resulted in a mirror finish. I in turn decide to chrome plate this one frame I am working on those eliminating any chance of frame imperfections. Plus it looks soooooo much nicer.

I promise to say polished instead of chrome from here on out...
I think i sorta addressed this before, both "chrome" plating and polishing are both appropriate terms when it comes to treating xmetals and getting the shiny, silvery appearance. The difference is that if you plate or "chrome" titanium, you are basically coating it with another substance which is extremely difficult and costly, but if done correctly looks perfect. Polishing on the other hand just requires some DIY skills, time, and patience, wherein you are removing the original coating (xmetal,plasma,24k, etc.) and polishing the bare titanium. Polishing you would think is the way to go since it is cheap... well, the downside, as already mentioned here, is any imperfections in the cast frame are now exposed. so you would have a shiny surface, that may have an occasional pockmark or dent, which chroming over would cover-up.

If you have scuffed tips on your earstems, and rotary tool aka dremel, have a go at it with some polishing compound/rouge to polish the tips and see if you like it. either way, you can have the-xman refinish it back to either plasma or xmetal, or just keep on polishing the rest. =)

Plating is no more costly then the rouges polishing bonnets etc. just gotta find the right people to take the time to rubber plug the holes and acid strip the finish down. Prepping the frame is crucial as in any refinishing job. I take my time and my buddy who shows me how to do it the right way has proven to me that it can be done and done right the first time. If I felt the need to remove the chrome and go with polished copper then all it takes is a primary strip process and re-plating.

Latest Posts

Back