• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished White/Ruby (red Letters), Polished Clear/Violet, Crys Black/+red Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
get off your pedestal and let some people get these at the prices they SHOULD be.

I don't think that's fair. The point he's making is that Oakley is going back on it's own marketing. These were originally marketed as being only 3,000 pairs and then that would be it. Then, a year later, they've changed their mind. People bought these on the understanding that there would only be 3,000 pairs because that's what Oakley told them. It turned out not to be true. Wouldn't you be pissed if someone lied to you?

Furthermore, if Oakley marketed these originally as only being 3,000 pairs then they created the aftermarket with inflated prices, as demand outstripped supply.

I agree that the aftermarket is getting a bit crazy and having the opportunity to buy Oakley's at their RRP is a good thing, but that's not the point being raised here.

Oakley's website lists them as Limited.
Oakley Frogskin Sunglasses available at the online Oakley store

So no, we will not be able to get a steady supply/replenishment

Look again. They aren't listed on there as limited because they aren't labeled as "collectors." It also doesn't show the limited production numbers in the description like they normally do. Look at the description from both pages on their website.

These:

Blacklight/Others:
collectors1.jpg

I would be very upset if vendors were trying to sell these as "limited edition" pieces.

I don't think that's fair. The point he's making is that Oakley is going back on it's own marketing. These were originally marketed as being only 3,000 pairs and then that would be it. Then, a year later, they've changed their mind. People bought these on the understanding that there would only be 3,000 pairs because that's what Oakley told them. It turned out not to be true. Wouldn't you be pissed if someone lied to you?

Furthermore, if Oakley marketed these originally as only being 3,000 pairs then they created the aftermarket with inflated prices, as demand outstripped supply.

I agree that the aftermarket is getting a bit crazy and having the opportunity to buy Oakley's at their RRP is a good thing, but that's not the point being raised here.

I understand both points of view here, but if you want to get technical about it they are different SKU's so you will still have the "collectors edition."

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait until people try to pass off the new versions as classics on eBay. I guess the only way to tell is to check out the SKU/product number stamped on the ear stems, or the date on the back of the box. My new white/rubys are 24-307 , while the classics are 03-252. So Batwolf is right...the limited edition refers to the SKU only, not the colorway.

While the SKU is different, I guess the main issue is that an original would've gone for $200+ and now a re-issue is selling for $110. So now people won't bother to buy the classic. Personally I think it's good because it will make it to where people can no longer scalp Frogskins.

I think this is a good thing. I think I may have mentioned before, but the only way to kill the ebay resellers is to flood the market. All frogs $100, from Blends to D2's!

Status
Not open for further replies.