• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polishing metals

WantJuliet

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Vermont
Well this has probably been discussed before but I can't seem to locate a polished Carbon XS so I was wondering if you can achieve the same effects from polishing the carbons or will that just damage the carbon coating? Thanks

If you just try to polish them it will damage the coating. . You could try to clear coat them to give them more of a shine, but that would still not be the same - you might get close though?

Exactly what I figuered. I'll leave them stock and continue for a set of the polished carbon XS. Thanks for the help.

There is a thread out there with someone looking to recreate a polished carbon finish but nobody was able to provide a how-to.

Interesting I was just hunting around for advice on polishing a POLISHED X Squared. I found one that suggests that Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish (which I always have a jar of for my Pony) will do the trick as long as the frame IS Polished not X-Metal or Plasma etc. Is this the case?

Interesting I was just hunting around for advice on polishing a POLISHED X Squared. I found one that suggests that Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish (which I always have a jar of for my Pony) will do the trick as long as the frame IS Polished not X-Metal or Plasma etc. Is this the case?

That's for a polished finish, not polished carbon. Doing a polished finish is a lot of elbow grease but otherwise straightforward. Trying it on a carbon frame would strip the carbon finish and you'd end up with plain ol' polished.

Really it'd take some sort of plating job with an appropriate material, as far as anyone can figure out.

But yes, as a different topic, if you already have a polished frame that has tarnished and you want to spruce it up, Mother's will do the trick. It won't remove scratches, though.

Back