• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

POLL - What to call the new "x-metals"?

What to call the new "x-metals"?

• Total voters
In my opinion, O-Metal fits perfectly when the time comes to refer to the family of frames as a whole. I will continue to use Badman or Madman individually.

And please for the sake of us all...please no fancy exaggerated multi-case numerical phrasing of calling this new x metal design....

I'm liking O-Metal more and more
K seriously you guys are stupid if you think these aren't X Metals. If ferrari came out with a car that you didn't like, would you say it isn't a ferrari? It's a "fauxrarri" like honestly you are dumb.

If if had the fit, finish, amenities and engine of a Honda Civic? Then yes, I would. Which is exactly the Badman and Madman vs the Romeo, Juliet, XS and XX - an economy car vs a supercar....that they're charging more for than the old true supercar

K seriously you guys are stupid if you think these aren't X Metals. If ferrari came out with a car that you didn't like, would you say it isn't a ferrari? It's a "fauxrarri" like honestly you are dumb.

That's a bad analogy but thanks for playing.

And, yet again, this isn't about whether we like them or not or if they're better or worse. Merely a way to differentiate, because they are different.

But, to try to play in your analogy, if Ferrari came out with another car called the F40 (which they wouldn't), you don't think enthusiasts would want some nickname to differentiate it from the original, in reference?

Hmmm
You mean calling a Fiat a Ferrari, They are both Italian cars but obviously different
So the Madman and the Badman are like the Fiat of Oakley
Not really much like Ferrari as are the True X Metals
So Madman and Badman = Fiat
Juliet ,Xx, R1, Mars,X Squared= Ferrari

Im glad I could clear that up for ya

That's a bad analogy but thanks for playing.

And, yet again, this isn't about whether we like them or not or if they're better or worse. Merely a way to differentiate, because they are different.

But, to try to play in your analogy, if Ferrari came out with another car called the F40 (which they wouldn't), you don't think enthusiasts would want some nickname to differentiate it from the original, in reference?
They would call it "the new F40" or by the year followed by F40. It's what ever the creator/Company calls it. That's what it is. If Oakley calls it X Metal; then so be it, it is an X Metal.

Well Brian Takumi would certainly know his stuff. But that doesn't mean the modern interpretation isn't a bit of retconning.

Here's JJ's post on how x-metals were designed, albeit brief:

Questions For Jim Jannard! | Oakley Forum
I didn't read all 33 pages but it just refers to the design philosophy (SLOGGING). No detail as far as what is X Metal. Maybe it is in subsequent posts in the thread?

They would call it "the new F40" or by the year followed by F40.

So there you go. They would be adapting the name to differentiate it. Thanks for making my point.

If Oakley calls it X Metal; then so be it, it is an X Metal.

I'm not arguing that. They're calling it x-metal and nothing we say here is changing that. This thread is about an informal nickname so, in reference, one knows if the poster is talking about the original x-metals or these "next chapter" pieces...

Anybody else opining what they think about them is their prerogative. But that's not the point of this exercise.

I didn't read all 33 pages but it just refers to the design philosophy (SLOGGING). No detail as far as what is X Metal. Maybe it is in subsequent posts in the thread?

No; he mentions slogging a couple of more times but isn't any more descriptive.

The point is, looking at old notes and claiming that x-metal was a design philosophy is a reinterpretation. The design philosophy was slogging, and x-metals were the product.

No; he mentions slogging a couple of more times but isn't any more descriptive.

The point is, looking at old notes and claiming that x-metal was a design philosophy is a reinterpretation. The design philosophy was slogging, and x-metals were the product.

Understood .....but just to clarify. He said at the NYC event that X Metal was a design Philosophy (he made no reference to looking at old notes) In his Instagram post he referenced looking at old notes and Titanium was only a small part. I don't think that is reinterpretation.

I am tapping out. My apologies for getting your thread off topic;)

Back