• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Poor man's C-Six? Sure, why not?

Check out the wanhao duplicator i3

Here's a 70 micron print.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439988731.845351.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439988739.698028.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439988747.018270.jpg

I'm not sure that pla is the best material in this case either. It will deform in fairly low heat, it's very brittle, and it's also very hard to finish (sanding and such)

That's a pretty nice print! I'm sure I'll upgrade someday, but I'm approaching this project as a "let's see what I can do with what I have" so I'm not looking to spend $1000 on new stuff to make a one-off pair of glasses that will mainly be on display. It's just a fun thing, to see what I can manage with basically my hands and a dremel. :grin:

That's a pretty nice print! I'm sure I'll upgrade someday, but I'm approaching this project as a "let's see what I can do with what I have" so I'm not looking to spend $1000 on new stuff to make a one-off pair of glasses that will mainly be on display. It's just a fun thing, to see what I can manage with basically my hands and a dremel. :grin:
If you make a nice enough pair, you might have some people interested in buying it.

That's why I said check that printer out. Its 420$ lol

I'm in the process of making a carbon pair, but theres a lot to be done before i get any further.

What are you using for your general shape guideline? picture or sketch? and how are you planning to cut the groove for the lens?

That's why I said check that printer out. Its 420$ lol

I'm in the process of making a carbon pair, but theres a lot to be done before i get any further.

What are you using for your general shape guideline? picture or sketch? and how are you planning to cut the groove for the lens?

Awesome! That's what I love about new tech; the longer you wait, the higher quality the results and the lower the price for them... up to a point. But by then it's no longer new tech... ;)

ive seen your vídeo of some of the process a long time ago and i was already stoked... now these pics look pretty good! keep it up and let me know when u are taking orders lol

I've had this project on the shelf for a while but am going to see if I can finish it up. I did not have the money years ago to buy a real C-Six, but I did have some carbon fiber laying around so I figured, why not try? This current project, which I call the "Deviate" is a followup to my attempt at reproducing a carbon fiber Juliet, which turned out decent and is a good display piece, but not as wearable as I'd hoped. The target for this new pair is to make a pair I could wear everyday.

The biggest stumbling block I had was finding a proper hinge mechanism, but now that I have a 3D printer I think I can solve that myself, in a rather "bespoke" fashion. ;)

These are hand laid-up in real carbon, which I then hand shaped using a Dremel, hand tools and sandpaper. It still needs further finishing and smoothing and I need to source a good lens shape that I can cut to fit. Hopefully I can engineer an improved hinge next and get this thing together!

Carbon Deviate WIP:
View attachment 172651

Carbon Juliet:
View attachment 172652
I need a pair of those....awesome work...where do you get your carbon?

Back