• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Post '90 Frogskins w/ metal hinges?

morafa4

Oakley Beginner
Have a pair of Japan-made Frogskins headed my way, with metal hinges and fire iridium lenses. Seller seems to think these are from about 1990 - was there a reissue on the look of the Generation 1's then? Or is this a mistake by the seller

My internet sleuthing skills aren't proving too well right now. :sorry:

Was hoping some of you hardboiled Frogmen might be able to give me a hand. Thankss!

Pretty sure these aren't LXs either. On the inside of the ear stems it had the traditional OakleyFrogskins mark with raised lettering, and the gilt (Made in) Japan after the bend. The outer Oakley logo is painted white and not raised. Everything about these say Gen1s - but the seller is fairly certain about the 90sdate. Strange... :/

Exactly - yeah, I had a look at O-Reviews variants and nothing came up. Also strange as that the frames are not truly see-through, but somewhat in strong light. I'll post one of the seller pics below once I'm on my computer; and I'll be sure to post detailed ones once I get my hands on these.

So I think I figured the mystery out. I got a hold of some images of the box they come with - and the fairly modern and textured box does indeed say 1996. But the UPC code stuck on them, along with their correct colorway descrip is followed by Disc. in parentheses - identifying them a discontinued. I'm pretty sure these are late 80s or 90 Gen1s, that sat deadstock at Oakley before being released/sold in 1996 in the only boxes they had available (kind of like they do now with leftover Juliets??). Anyways, just an educated guess - but hopefully a correct one!

That would be some real dedicated craftsmanship and unbelievable feats of intricate deception, if that were the case... - But only upon receiving while I be able to tell. But until then, I think the Oakley's habit of selling residual stock of discontinued products is the most likely explanation.

Back