• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Post Pics Of Your Guns And Glasses

IMO knockdown power is a myth. Basic physics says a round isn't going to hit with any more force than what you feel in recoil (Newton's 3rd law - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction). As you said, it's all about shot placement - hit something vital and they go down. Hit something else and you'll need to fire again.
A foot to the groin has a lot of knock down power and all of that energy is placed upward away from the ground. .45 is slower but carries much more punch. .22 is supersonic less massive ultimately delivering less impact. .50 hot load you can probably scare them down.

A foot to the groin has a lot of knock down power and all of that energy is placed upward away from the ground. .45 is slower but carries much more punch. .22 is supersonic less massive ultimately delivering less impact. .50 hot load you can probably scare them down.

Umm, okay...

I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing. It sounds like you're disagreeing but the examples you give seem to agree.

When I say "knockdown power is a myth", I specifically mean the idea that the impact of a bullet alone (from your average handheld weapon) will knock somebody down. It's the damage to the target that makes the difference. Better shot placement = more vital damage, so it's more important to use a round you can reliably place accurately than one that's the next size up. If you can place the next size up just as accurately, more the better... I'm not saying all rounds are created equal...

Foot to the groin: they don't go down because of the impact of the kick. They go down because they got kicked in the balls. Nice shot placement. But if they get their knee over in time to protect the jewels, they ain't going down (unless it's Duane Johnson kicking Peter Dinkler or some other similar mismatch).

The .45 vs .22 still fits. Getting shot in the shoulder with a .45 is much more debilitating than with a .22; it does more damage. But a nice headshot, with either a .45 or a .22, will take someone down more effectively than the .45 shot to the shoulder. (On a side note, both mass and velocity make a contribution to how much damage is done on impact, so conceivably a .22 could do as much or more damage than a .45, if at a sufficiently high velocity, which your everyday .22 doesn't reach).

The .50 cal is probably beyond the parameters of this example; it's not an average handheld weapon - trying to fire a .50 cal from a standing position, without it mounted to something, probably would knock down most people firing it. Specialized .50 cal sniper rifles (thank you, Carlos Hathcock) are fired from a prone position... So the impact from a .50 cal alone probably would knock somebody down. But, with all that mass and velocity, you get a lot more damage; things go "splat"...

lol - I love that scene! Replica? D'oh! Great overall movie, too... modern classic! "Why do they call him the bullet dodger?" "Because he dodges bullets, Avi!"

I wasn't talking about the pistol round but the .50 cal M2 BMG; forgot about that one... The Desert Eagle's the ultimate c0ck compensation, but still an awesome piece of hardware...

it's all good...:D:D:D

IMO knockdown power is a myth. Basic physics says a round isn't going to hit with any more force than what you feel in recoil (Newton's 3rd law - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction). As you said, it's all about shot placement - hit something vital and they go down. Hit something else and you'll need to fire again.

"Knockdown" power is a bastardization of stopping power. There are two ways to end a gunfight: a central nervous system hit (shot placement) and hypovolemic shock (extreme blood loss, aka stopping power).

CNS hits end confrontations quickly. Hypovolemic shock tends to start once your circulatory system lost about 20% of your blood, or just over a liter for most people. This can take a while if you have .22 caliber holes through and through.

IMO, defensive grade ammo starts at .380 JHP +P and up... the bigger the bullet the better chance you have to tag the CNS or nick an artery and accelerate blood loss // the hypovolemic shock process.

Know what 21 feet looks like and practice your Tueller Drills. And no 9mm vs .45 discussion. PLEASE.

"Knockdown" power is a bastardization of stopping power. There are two ways to end a gunfight: a central nervous system hit (shot placement) and hypovolemic shock (extreme blood loss, aka stopping power).

CNS hits end confrontations quickly. Hypovolemic shock tends to start once your circulatory system lost about 20% of your blood, or just over a liter for most people. This can take a while if you have .22 caliber holes through and through.

IMO, defensive grade ammo starts at .380 JHP +P and up... the bigger the bullet the better chance you have to tag the CNS or nick an artery and accelerate blood loss // the hypovolemic shock process.

Know what 21 feet looks like and practice your Tueller Drills. And no 9mm vs .45 discussion. PLEASE.

I agree with all of that.

Jupiters
M&P9

uploadfromtaptalk1422309411099.jpg

Latest Posts

Back