• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Precision machined spinning tops...the latest trend!

I saw an add for foreverspin today and watched the lifestyle ad. People were sitting around at a bar playing with tops... It didn't seem very realistic/fun to me. Gives a new meaning to bar top!

bar top.jpg

This would make it fun. And full disclosure I have multiple sets of battling tops and was pumped that they recently re-released it - plastic from 30 years ago gets pretty brittle and I lost a few "dancing dans" and "super sams" and "hurricane hanks"

For everyone interested, not that more competition is needed for top hunting lol, go check out Pocket Top Talk on FB. It's a closed group so you'll need to request to join. I guarantee you'll trip on all the tops out there!

Last edited:
I think the 2010 film "Inception" may have started some of the spinning top craze with Cobb's totem in it.
This might be true. I haven't bothered to ask when this trend started, but I kinda traced it back to Inception too. It's been around long enough that some collectors have amazing collections that would rival some collections here, lol. Different kind of crowd though, more EDC type of collectors.

So I've been away from the boards for awhile, but still lurk here and there. Mainly been just laying low and trying to be good, haha. But recently, this top collecting trend has grabbed me by the smooth criminals and has squeezed HARD!

Spinning tops! Yup, I said spinning tops. Precision machined and hand turned on metal lathes....spinning tops! The level of accuracy, creativity and ingenuity these top makers put into their pieces is unreal. They use metals ranging from steel, copper, brass, bronze, stainless steel, aluminum to more exotics like Damascus, timascus, Mokuti, moline and superconductor. They also incorporate tritium, moon glow, resin, and other goodies.

Some of these tops are built as artwork, some for performance and some for both. I have one made by Brian Fellhoelter that gives me consistent spins lasting 10+ mins! So addicting!

Go check out Rich Stadler and BilletSPIN for his latest creation just released on Indiegogo! Believe me, if you're a collector, you'll get hooked on this! Shootz!!!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/billetspin-navigator-spin-top#/

What has the resell value on these things been like?

That navigator's quite interesting, and since he's selling it as an indiegogo project to raise funds to repair his CNC machine, a purchase does more to support the business than just add margin.

The SS/Cu/SS looks like the best, but one can see many, many more of them have been claimed than the other colorways, and it doesn't sound like he plans to produce much more of this model beyond what's claimed in the campaign.

I'm not interesting in flipping / scalping stuff, but if I pick one up and somewhere down the road decide to move it, do you think a more rare colorway will have significant impact on value compared to the larger number of SS/Cu/SS? Or will the entire production run be rare enough as-is that which colorway matters little? Or do these things not really appreciate much in comparison to those made of exotic materials, so it's a moot point?

(and don't tell me to get both; that's cutting into my Oakley funds... o_O)

I saw a video on these a little while back, a guy did a tabletop on a few of his and talked about the recent popularity.

I don't get it. Well, no, I get the tops and the craftsmanship, the materials, the spin times, the collectability and whatnot. What I don't get is how this factors into "EDC" at all.

I've noticed a lot of talk of "EDC" in the last few years, and to me it pretty much meant the things you carry daily as being prepared for what life throws at you. A pen that might double as a kubotan, wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, multitool, knife, pistol, etc.

I don't see how a top fits into that. I might get one to play with at home or at work, but I wouldn't keep it in my pocket where something of utility would be ousted. I have a hard enough time finding pocket space in simple 4 pocket khakis for all of my junk.

Back