• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Precision machined spinning tops...the latest trend!

I was looking at the Lambda for my first top, but passed because I wanted the Tungsten version and it was long gone. You nailed it with the Brass version supposedly being the best balanced because of its one piece design. It may not break any spin time records, but it should spin stable and motionless. Be mindful not to drop your Lambda from too high as your crank your spins, the ruby, although very hard can crack. Once you loose the bearing it's over. You might be able to poke it out due to the stem being hollowed, and press fit another bearing in, but that's a pain you'd want to avoid. Also, for better spin times and to keep your top in one area, I'd recommend buying a cheap 3x-5x magnification makeup mirror for your spinning surface. The concave due to the magnification will help settle your top quicker and the glass surface gives it a more frictionless point of contact.

Those Prometheus lights are nice and tempting, but the top thing is my priority right now, haha. Maybe down the line I'll break down and grab one of his lights.

Yeah, I would have gotten the ceramic Silicon Carbide contact point were it not for the see-through effect you get with the hollow spindle and Ruby. It's a risk but I decided f*ck it, go for it.

I've got a 5" 12x mirror arriving tomorrow from amazon; it's the one he recommended. Lots of options out there, though. Probably will end up with two, one for the office and one at home.

I also might get one of his Beta-QRv2 keychain flashlights in copper; like how it'll patina and the high CRI of its Nichia 219 LED, better than my existing flashlights. But I'm passing on the Alpha; nice but too pricey and I already have too many other flashlights that do the trick...

I know I'm going on a bit of a tangent from the topic of tops, but just can't skip the opportunity to reply to this. I buy one of almost everything Jason (Prometheus) makes - with the Lambda Top being one of the few exceptions so far. Great guy to deal with, and I love reading all the info he provides about the development of his products.

If you are considering the Beta QR v2 copper, definitely go for it. The convenience of the quick release, color rendering of the Nichia 219, copper patina, it's just awesome (get some Eneloop AAA batteries to go with it). I usually clean mine every few months with some Nevr-Dull, because polished copper is just as cool as the tarnish.

I also have the Alpha (blue label version) which is a great light, but you have to really be an enthusiast to swallow the price.

Beta QR v1 Copper
(and Kappa quick release keychain - another great product)
image.jpeg

Alpha Blue Label (MCE emitter, full brushed version)
image.jpeg

Size comparison:
image.jpeg

I know I'm going on a bit of a tangent from the topic of tops, but just can't skip the opportunity to reply to this. I buy one of almost everything Jason (Prometheus) makes - with the Lambda Top being one of the few exceptions so far. Great guy to deal with, and I love reading all the info he provides about the development of his products.

If you are considering the Beta QR v2 copper, definitely go for it. The convenience of the quick release, color rendering of the Nichia 219, copper patina, it's just awesome (get some Eneloop AAA batteries to go with it). I usually clean mine every few months with some Nevr-Dull, because polished copper is just as cool as the tarnish.

I also have the Alpha (blue label version) which is a great light, but you have to really be an enthusiast to swallow the price.

Beta QR v1 Copper
(and Kappa quick release keychain - another great product)
View attachment 228508

Alpha Blue Label (MCE emitter, full brushed version)
View attachment 228509

Size comparison:
View attachment 228510

Seems like the main difference between the QR v1 and v2 is the quick release mechanism; the v2 uses a 10lb force snap on/off (same as the keychain) instead of that v1 plunger lock mechanism (and made in-house instead of 3rd party). I already carry an olight S1 Baton and M1X Striker as my EDC (along with a S2 Baton in my backpack and a M3XS-UT Javelot in my truck) so a 3rd flashlight in my pockets might be a bit much, but the CRI of that Nichia LED is very appealing...

Did you see the Blue Label program has been suspended in favor of the Alpha Custom? Same as Blue Label only using the housing he's having machined by Hirsch. Practical difference is class II instead of class III threading, and aesthetically it has the Prometheus logo stamp instead of his personal mark.

You have the Icarus driver in yours?

Planning on getting an Alpha pen?

(OP, sorry for the continued tangent...)

@kronin - this may interest you...there are going to be special exotic Navigator's released in limited quantities.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457381602.578642.jpg

I guarantee these will blow up in value, as Rich hasn't released any tops prior using the exotic metals. If you're interested in grabbing one, one of these would be it. I'm going to try for all three!

@kronin - this may interest you...there are going to be special exotic Navigator's released in limited quantities.
View attachment 228515
I guarantee these will blow up in value, as Rich hasn't released any tops prior using the exotic metals. If you're interested in grabbing one, one of these would be it. I'm going to try for all three!

Damn... I bet that Mokume one in particular will be pretty sweet... and just $50 more... I was going to wait until near the end of the campaign to decide if I wanted to get one, but I bet these will go fast... :headbang:

These will definitely go quick! I think he could've easily charged $250-$300 and they still would've sold out in minutes. I'm really into superconductor right now, so I hope I'm fast enough to get in on that release, lol.

These will definitely go quick! I think he could've easily charged $250-$300 and they still would've sold out in minutes. I'm really into superconductor right now, so I hope I'm fast enough to get in on that release, lol.

So we just have to keep reloading the page and catch the minute they become available?

Seems like the main difference between the QR v1 and v2 is the quick release mechanism; the v2 uses a 10lb force snap on/off (same as the keychain) instead of that v1 plunger lock mechanism (and made in-house instead of 3rd party). ... Did you see the Blue Label program has been suspended in favor of the Alpha Custom? Same as Blue Label only using the housing he's having machined by Hirsch. Practical difference is class II instead of class III threading, and aesthetically it has the Prometheus logo stamp instead of his personal mark. You have the Icarus driver in yours? Planning on getting an Alpha pen? (OP, sorry for the continued tangent...)

I did see that the blue label program was discontinued... lately he seems to spend most of his time developing new products and has less time for in-house machining. I wish that wasn't the case, but knowing his high standards I'm still confident in the shop that he has chosen when he does outsource. The class III threads on the blue label are incredibly smooth and precise, though I'm sure they are way overkill, and just another way to display the quality and pride in his work. Some members on candlepowerforums are still doing a pass-around of the new Icarus driver, so I've been waiting to upgrade mine in case there are changes based on feedback, but it seems to be finalized now. The 3-mode w/ memory driver that I have now works fine for me, but the techie in me will need to upgrade soon just to have the latest and greatest.

For the Beta v1 vs v2, you are right about the release mechanism being the only difference, but the V1 was actually made in China (at least for the Kickstarter project where I got mine). Personally I'd prefer the v2, only because it is shorter, but for me its not worth upgrading for that.

I had two of the Alpha Pens (titanium and aluminum) from the kickstarter project, but sold them after a few months to buy Oakley's! I had just found this forum, haha. You just missed a small run of copper Alpha pens sold on Massdrop, machined by Hirsch. I eventually decided against it and put the $ towards a custom XX instead. I bet you might be able to snag one on eBay eventually.

If you are into his products, I'd recommend signing up for his email list hidden in the blog section of his website. He only sends occasional updates, usually at most 1 per month.

Which one did you like better? Normally I'm a Ti guy but the threads seem higher maintenance.

I wanted to like the Ti version better, because well... its Ti. But if I'm being honest, I preferred writing with the Aluminum version... the weight was more comfortable, and the Ti threads were just a touch on the gritty side. From my understanding though, the Ti threads do eventually break in.

Back