• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Preferred Holiday/Vacation X Metal/s

And as a follow-up to @WILLAW84's question...any worries about taking an X-Metal to the beach around all that sand and salt water? I was planning on taking a couple pair of juliets to Cape May this year for around town walking and shopping...but taking Radars along for the actual beach lounging and walking..

Maybe just being overly paranoid, but I can't be the only one with this in their head.

Can I ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did it several times with no problems. At least until I lost a pair when a damned thieving wave tore them from my face.

Now I stick to radarlocks with the optional strap, at the beach.

Thanks, kronin. You've got a longer history with metals than I do, if you did it several times I won't worry about it around town. Radars for the actual beach and water though.

Coming from the car business salt water environment = death.

Yup. But the x-metal Ti alloy doesn't rust like car steel does. Though rinsing them off afterwards, x-metals or otherwise, is always a good idea.

Sent from a sensitive spot caused by sand chafing

I wipe down Everything after I use it as a matter of course.

Glasses, bikes, baseball gloves, my sister...you name it, I wipe it down after I use it!

:rofl:

Coming from the car business salt water environment = death.

I've been off shore sailing with my 1. gen plasmas since they came out and they are still almost perfect. I do rinse them in fresh water most days, but that is mostly to get the salt off the lenses.. (They lenses were doing fine until one got some marks from a fall last year) I'm swapping to Splits and Radars for this summer since finding replacement Juliets is getting a bit harder.

I've been off shore sailing with my 1. gen plasmas since they came out and they are still almost perfect. I do rinse them in fresh water most days, but that is mostly to get the salt off the lenses.. (They lenses were doing fine until one got some marks from a fall last year) I'm swapping to Splits and Radars for this summer since finding replacement Juliets is getting a bit harder.

That's a hell of a testimonial, man! Thanks! :)

Do you ever take the lenses and rubbers out and off to clean them, or just rinse and keep going?

Any deterioration of rubbers you can attribute to the salt water directly, or just normal aging?

Back