• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription Lenses For X Metal Xx

Mickb

Oakley Beginner
Crawley, UK
Hi guys new to the forum. I have a pair of Oakley x metal xx sunglasses. I was hoping one of you guys might know if it is possible or not to get prescription lenses for them. If I can't I think I will have to sell them to fund the purchase of a pair of prescription oakleys many thanks for your help. If I do sell would it be worth getting them tuned and replacing the lenses.

They are X MetalXX frameTi02 lens black iridium what do you think I could get for them?

I'm sure that if you take your frame to SGH or lenscrafter they will do the RX that you need, actually I've heard of some members here have their Juliets with RX, so I don't think that will be much of a problem. Great frame that you have, man, there has been a lot of discussion about fair prices for discontinued and vintage frames like yours and I personally have got and sold many XX TiO2 and I would say that the price, depending on the condition of the XX and accesories such box and coin... 200-400, I know is a big span.

I know you can have Rx lenses on a X-Metal XX because I currently own a pair of X-Metal XX Tio2 with Rx Lenses. Lenses have the Oakley Rx logo etched on the lens too.

You can definitely get Rx lenses fitted for the XX. I have all 4 colorways of the XX and 2 of the 4 i own were used as Rx frames prior to me owning them.

A word of warning though, if you've never used a pair of sunglasses as Rx: I picked up a pair of Square Whiskers last year to use as an Rx frame. When i put them on, the curvature of the lens distorted my peripheral vision. I found i couldn't wear them without getting headaches/eyestrain. When my insurance reset this year, i finally went with an actual Oakley Rx frame that uses a flat lens and i'm much happier.

This is just my experience. I've seen a lot of people use different frames for Rx, including a few here. I think "Mickle" uses a 1st gen plasma frame with Rx lenses and he seems to like them. I've also seen someone use a Gascan frame as an Rx frame once. That one looked a little weird to me.

It all depends on what your prescription is. I think Oakley only cuts -3.00 to +2.00 if I remember correctly. You can have any optometry business cut lenses but the fit may not be that great... Just give me your XX's and I will give you my plasma Juliet's and all will be well in the world :wink:

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I can't believe that I could get that much for them. If I had to sell them which I don't really want to would be worth getting them tuned first.

Hi there I contacted LensCrafters. Theynsay that they can do prescription lenses but need me to send my glasses to them and also need a
US postal address. So looks like my search continues to find someone in the UK. There is one company I have found but they are not
Oakley lenses.

I don't know this for a fact but surely someone like vision express who have in house lens crafting could make a lens to fit? Obviously wouldn't be Oakley branded but shouldnt be a problem for them.

Edit: mottles, one of the members on here gave me advice about getting rx lenses in a Juliet, he's uk based aswell so I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Back