1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Tenacious Z

Tenacious Z Oakley Beginner

Hi guys this is my first post on the forum. I just learned I need glasses full time and have some questions about using the Flax Jacket XLJ frames I already have. My plan is to use the Flak Jacket XLJ frames as my full time frames for my new prescription. I plan on doing this by having the prescription be put into a set of clear XLJ sunglasses lenses. I also plan to put transitions into those lenses and maybe anti-reflective coating. My questions are as follows:
    • If anyone has tried clear lenses in the XLJ frames how does that combo look for full time glasses?
    • How clear are the clear lenses Oakley offers for sunglasses (would they look like normal glasses)?
    • Would the clear lenses offer any tint to normal viewing? (If I am indoors without the transitions activated)
    • Is it possible to put transitions into clear lenses for Oakley XLJ?
    • How can I be assured that, when I go to my eye doctor, they put the prescription in the official Oakley lenses and not just put glass lenses in the frames I give them?
    • Does anyone know if I were to do this if the lenses I am asking for would be considered regular prescription eyeglass lenses? (For insurance purposes)
    • Has anyone ever tried transitions on Oakley sunglasses? If so, how effective are they?
    • Is this even a good idea?
    Thanks guys.

Di245 likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

from what I looked at recently and spoke with a few eyeglass shops - they have to send off the prescription to Oakley and Oakley makes the lenses and ships them back. Most prescription lenses come in a large round (maybe 4-5") disk. they then use a machine to cut the lenses to size for the frames you choose. I don't believe they can cut a prescription lens for any Oakley sunglasses frame. If you find out different let me know. I talked to several people that said the same thing. They can cut the lenses for Oakley RX glasses (ie hollowpoint) but cannot for sunglasses. I am in the same boat and am trying to figure out how to get some rx lenses for my pennys I just bought (or a pair of flaks/twentys)

3. Tenacious Z

So how do they do prescription sunglasses if they cannot cut frames to the shape of the frames? kinda confusing

4. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

prescription sunglasses are usually a frame provided for RXs and they use a regular prescription lens and add tint.

5. Tenacious Z

Is the flak jacket xlj rx capable?

6. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

yes but when I looked at getting lenses they started at over 280usd from oakley

7. Tenacious Z

That's why I'm asking if they could be considered regular prescriptions glasses so my insurance could cover it?

8. dl33t3d

dl33t3d Oakley Beginner

well I have insurance as well and was going to purchase a regular pair and use my insurance for the sunglasses. my insurance only gave a 60 dollar allowance for lenses and oakleys were not included as covered. the best I could get was 20% off of a pair with prescription lenses (about 430 plus) so I opted to buy a set of pennys and look at other options :)

9. Lumbergh

Lumbergh Oakley Enthusiast

That is a question for your insurance company, not so much here. Everyone's coverage is different.

Oakley prescription lenses are expensive but are top notch. You can not just make a clear lens into prescription. The lenses are completely manufactured by Oakley.