• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pretty Crappy Forum Practice On Replacement Rubbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a ichiro blue but hard to come by and definitely not cheap. Sux but O is not cheap at all

To some this forum is a business.
Absohotley! If this forum is where you conduct business get with Boss and become a site vendor. At the very least become a premium member and kick Boss back a little for his hard work. This site is constantly upgraded, has Tapatalk and is optimized for mobile. This stuff doesn't happen by accident. Hook Boss up especially if you use it for profit.
There is still a higher standard held by most members, to pass things along at a reasonable price to others that will enjoy it.
Yes, some do not mind sharing their good fortune with others. That is "community".
Are any of these scalpers FORCING you to buy their overpriced stuff? No, they are not... it has no impact on you. It's like if I were to complain that all the Romeos are $600 NIB when they were $315 new, and now I'm mad about it because I want one.
You can't go get more Romeos, he can go get more rubbers.
Obviously it is difficult to prove if a seller waited for the item to be discontinued. Since the nicest items are discontinued.
These are not discontinued.

These are not discontinued.
Sorry I meant to say most items (which we love to collect like x metals) are discontinued it is difficult to prove if the seller waited for it be discontinued and decides to sell it.

I was just going by what forum rules stated. In that case it should be modified.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying. I guess it's really a case of supply and demand. People continue to pay these prices, so I can't see it stopping.

One other thing, RRP pricing on items is not the same world wide. Just because you may pay $10-15 for rubber in the US it doesn't mean I (In Australia for example) pay $10-15. Usually the local price here is a a good 30-50% more, esp for items like rubber. I suspect this is the same in other countries too.

We have talked about this with Boss on a few occasions, and some of the veteran members remember certain circumstances which prompted the "scalping" of new items which were sold out online. However some members have also provided some great info on where to obtain specific models at a great price which has prompted many of us to buy them. When it comes down to it, some members know where and how to obtain certain items, whether or not we choose to share where we got them from or not is up to the member. Yes there are a few members that come on here just to sell there stuff whether it be at outrageous prices or not. There was a time where many members did not know how to reach out to others across the pond to locate something that was not available here or there.

I can see both sides of the coin here, but also I can see a member stepping up and also providing rubber sets at a low, low price with the understanding that you can get one set only of each color. ( maybe even a slight mark up to cover time and shipping) Thus if you sell them you wont get any more. Many members are not into the colored sets but they may want just one particular color for a project. Why should they pay $100 for them just to complete the project. If a member does something unique with frames/lenses/etc they can usually set the price, until someone else comes along that can do it also. This also has been discussed too. That is why we can choose to "buy or pass it by" regarding the pricing of items. Eventually members who ask high prices for their stuff will disappear or just come on to "bump" the thread. Yes some of them have not contributed to the forum at all, maybe its because they can't, or don't know anything except to sell.....

If anyone has some ideas pm the boss and the mods and we can discuss it and come up with something that can benefit the forum as a whole

One other thing, RRP pricing on items is not the same world wide. Just because you may pay $10-15 for rubber in the US it doesn't mean I (In Australia for example) pay $10-15. Usually the local price here is a a good 30-50% more, esp for items like rubber. I suspect this is the same in other countries too.
Tavers, fair observation!
I recall that when I bought my 24k XS's from down under that a $450 pair was $599 due to exchange rates and more so I am aware of different price structures based on exchange rates, import tariffs, etc.
Also in my experience often retail prices for an item (especially commodities) are corrected based on the cost of living and disposable income for a given country.
Back in the 80's and 90's, batteries and film were often "diverted" and sold on the gray market. Kodak film and Duracell/Eveready batteries were manufactured for export to Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries and sold at wholesale prices that resulted in retail prices that the market would bear in those nations. Often cargo would leave the US, cross into international waters then turn around and return. Sometimes the boat would not even leave the dock. The goods were then sold on the gray market in the US and found their way to retail. The same practice occurs today with Frontline and Adantage flea and tick products, with Merial and Bayer using the EPA as their enforcement arm.
Even if there is a 50% premium on a $10-15 item that makes it a $15 -22.50 item at retail right?
My .02.

Yes some of them have not contributed to the forum at all, maybe its because they can't, or don't know anything except to sell.....
10 ring shot there sharpshooter!

Even if there is a 50% premium on a $10-15 item that makes it a $15 -22.50 item at retail right?
My .02.

I don't see anything wrong with making a few bucks, but the 1000% markup on stuff is a little crazy.

But like ravers said, people keep paying it so it's not going to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back