• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pretty Crappy Forum Practice On Replacement Rubbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO that would be the worst thing one could do to an open forum. Closed door is never a good thing.
I mostly agree with you, I'm afraid I was in mid thought process when I posted previously. A few of you have mentioned that the exchange forums have taken an unsavory flavor recently in terms of "scalping". Perhaps a layered filtering system is needed to help negate unwanted behavior. Post count can be one layer, and another is ....fill in the blank...

This scenario although does not involve Oakley's it relates. You decide if its right or wrong. I once worked for a guy who was a gold and diamond buyer. I was his friend and started working for him as armed security when we were out. Eventually I took over helping him drive, carry money etc. We were good friends and he paid me for each day of work. Wasn't a large sum but you usually don't normally see the value of something unused (in this case protection from robbery) until you need it. We would go on road trips spending 24 hours a day for up to 2 weeks. So one day we were at a store where he bought a 2 carat diamond. My wife had only had about a 3/4 carat and always desired a 1 carat. So seeing the opportunity to get a nice diamond at a good price I asked him to sell it to me. Now I was with him when he paid 2,400.00. He turned to me handed it to me and said I will sell it to you for 7,000.00 Now the diamond was valued between 15-18,000 full blown jewelry retail so a fair real world value I would say 10K. No as friends I worked cheap for him and with this scenario he did nothing more then buy a rock turn and hand it to me and made 4,600.00. When I asked if he could sell it to me for less since he only paid 2,400.00 his reasoning was this: Although I am making 4600.00 I am really losing 5,400.00 because I could sell it for 10,0000.00. So i ask is it right or not? I felt a little "scalped" because of the amount he made off me in 5 minutes but looking from his side he was losing money because it was valued at much more. Now when I say "valued" Value is a guideline. Just a number that people can reasonably speculate the item will sell for (or what someone is willing to pay for it). A diamond is just a rock but as they get bigger and nicer they become rarer and thus demands a premium much like a pair of R1's. They cost is XXX and after a few years as they get lost, damaged, broken etc they become more rare and drives the value up. I don't agree on someone buying something for 300 and try selling for 900.00 especially on a forum such as this of collectors. Its like a brotherhood of friends who want to promote the hobby and when you do stuff like that the seller really sets himself a part as not being in the brotherhood. But on the other hand even tho I do not agree with it I have to also take into account that if the seller can put it on the bay and get 900.00 then why wouldn't he? I mean an extra 600.00 is an extra 600.00. So by offering it on this forum at 500.00 its still a profit but still a 400.00 loss. So its obviously what view you take to determine what you believe is acceptable. I myself have wanted a 450.00 pair of IH Juliet's and it frustrates me to no end to see some of these Aholes listing them on bay for 800-900.00 but there are guys even asking 1400.00. Many times I typed up a message to say how much of an ahole he was for trying to rip people off. I never sent the messages as this is Capitalism at its finest. He will be listing it over and over again until they become more rare and it drives the value up to his asking price (provided he doesn't raise the asking price again), or some guy with more money then sense buys them.

Last edited:
IMO that would be the worst thing one could do to an open forum. Closed door is never a good thing.
I agree, but maybe make it tougher to gain access to the exchange?

There was a guy who popped up a few weeks ago (forgot his name), he posted into the "Evaluate my stuff" thread ... found out his stuff was worth some money ... the next thing we know he's posting FS threads ... sold his gear and he hasn't really been seen since ...

I may be a n00b ... but i find that actions like those 'cheapen' the forum and what it was originally created for ...

Just my O opinion ... :I

Making it harder to access the exchange just punishes all for the sake of a few much like gun laws. I think all new guys should not be allowed to post any topic in which they ask values of their items. This is a common way to work around the exchange wait period and opens it up for unethical selling through pm's. How many threads have u seen that says something like this. "Hi all, I just found a pair of all metal x metal juliets with perfect lenses and mint box (ok not always with box) They have been untouched for a decade. They were worn by James Bowie at the Alamo then then passed on to General Grant who used them to see through the Canon fire at Gettysburg during the civil war and was said to be a big factor in aiding the North to win that battle then they were given to General George Custer as a gift when he was promoted to General. He was wearing them when he was savagely killed at the Battle of little Big Horn and then somehow ended up in the back of my closet. Are they worth anything? Ok just a little humor there on my part. But seriously they know they are worth something and if they don't make them have to research the value through the search function instead of members spoon feeding it to them. It also opens the door for dishonest members pming them in hopes of buying them before they have a chance to legitimately list them (which is unfair to the honest members) or even worse having a veteran try to take advantage of a newbie. Personally I believe 99% of the newbs know the value and are just trying to make a quick behind the seens sale by posting the "value" thread. I would say the thread should be locked immediately and moderators should monitor any pms coming in to that newbie and if any member is caught trying to abuse the system he should be warned. After x amount if violations they get banned. It wouldn't even hurt to have moderators post as a new user to help discourage the practice. Just my opinion

I agree, but maybe make it tougher to gain access to the exchange?

There was a guy who popped up a few weeks ago (forgot his name), he posted into the "Evaluate my stuff" thread ... found out his stuff was worth some money ... the next thing we know he's posting FS threads ... sold his gear and he hasn't really been seen since ...

I may be a n00b ... but i find that actions like those 'cheapen' the forum and what it was originally created for ...

Just my O opinion ... :I
That's why I pushed for the minimum we have now. Otherwise we'd see people pop on a lot more frequently and try to offload something for ebay prices. Or scam. Or buy deals here and try to flip on ebay.

If they stick around and invest 15 days and 15 posts, they at least respected our rules long enough to give us a history. Those looking to scam or make a quick buck (I hope) are generally turned away.

Making it too big means new members spend more time on "probation" as it were, and feel less welcomed, or feel like we're not welcoming new people. All negative, and to be avoided, in my mind.

....having said all that I think one of my first 10 posts here was me trying to sell a pair :D

What about restrict the value thread and all pm privileges untill the two week mark

Making it too big means new members spend more time on "probation" as it were, and feel less welcomed, or feel like we're not welcoming new people. All negative, and to be avoided, in my mind.
Harsher enforcement for Noob (probe) forum rule breakers? No PM's allowed at all?
1st infraction - warning
2nd - 3 day ban
3rd - Ban hammer

Clearer rules on whats scalping?

Or a complete removal of that particular rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back