• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Price drops/bumps/comments in exchange section

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the GLWS and the whole this is a good member posts are stoopid. lol I really try and update my pricing and use the bump. I also try and consolidate. Sometimes it makes it hard as I have a watch, x-metal lenses and O-Matter frames but to stop from bumping 5 threads, I try and consolidate. Sometimes if I am not selling a ton of stuff I will keep in separate threads.

I will reply to a post if someone specifies pm sent for a particular item and it has not sold to let others know it is still available.

It also irratates me the people complaining about the exchange who don't contribute to the forum. Pay the measly $35 and save your ebay fees. Stop being cheap. I would like to see premium members sale posts at the top and then everyone elses on the bottom. I would also pay for a sticky for my sale thread to be on page 1 so a $1 to $5 fee would generate funds for the forum.

To throw in my two cents; I would agree that a sale thread is just that. If someone feels the need to comment "GLWS" or "good price, buy with confidence, etc." that should be handled in a PM. I've been guilty of violating what I just said but knowing the feelings of others in this thread has made me think twice about doing it again. This forum is a great place to share thoughts and opinions but there are plenty of threads to do so that aren't in the exchange. I try not to bump any of my sale threads before the 48 hours but there are times where I have the ability to be on the forum at 5:22pm on Tuesday to post the thread but only have the time at 9:26am on Thursday to bump it. Even though it's not exactly 48 hours is this acceptable? Some are lax with it and others are nazis so I'm not sure what is reasonable.

Last edited:
I think the GLWS and the whole this is a good member posts are stoopid. lol I really try and update my pricing and use the bump. I also try and consolidate. Sometimes it makes it hard as I have a watch, x-metal lenses and O-Matter frames but to stop from bumping 5 threads, I try and consolidate. Sometimes if I am not selling a ton of stuff I will keep in separate threads.

I will reply to a post if someone specifies pm sent for a particular item and it has not sold to let others know it is still available.

It also irratates me the people complaining about the exchange who don't contribute to the forum. Pay the measly $35 and save your ebay fees. Stop being cheap. I would like to see premium members sale posts at the top and then everyone elses on the bottom. I would also pay for a sticky for my sale thread to be on page 1 so a $1 to $5 fee would generate funds for the forum.

Agree with the first part.
But there are many ways of contributing and calling fellow members cheap, when premium membership is obligatory, in my personal opinion, isn't cool.
But if you want a forum with a lot less members - by all means make paying the premium fee mandatory.
And while you're at it - why not change the name to 'OakleyBay' ?
Just another two cents ;)

I pay my dues. If u sell or buy a small contribution isn't much. Sorry u took it personal, but not really. There are people complaining everyday about the forum and the exchange but won't contribute to help improve the experience.

Agree with the first part.
But there are many ways of contributing and calling fellow members cheap, when premium membership is obligatory, in my personal opinion, isn't cool.
But if you want a forum with a lot less members - by all means make paying the premium fee mandatory.
And while you're at it - why not change the name to 'OakleyBay' ?
Just another two cents ;)
You are right most prices if all are ebay prices anyways "SCALPERS" oops i guess thats a diffrent topic. I violated sorry lol.

OK, just my opinion... For timeliness and readability I'll share my thoughts on price drop bumps and comment/reply bumps in separate posts. Regarding price drop bumps...

I also have been a bit torn by what to think about this. On the side supporting price drop bumps at any time, think about it this way:

- Why is somebody dropping their price? It could be as simple as they realized it was never going to sell at their asking price, in which case the price drop bump can wait, but it could be a case of urgency, they really need the money for something and are willing to take a loss just to get some funds quickly. Like that speeding, aggressive driver - is he just an @sshole or is he rushing his mom to the ER? You don't know...

- If you only update the price by editing the OP, how are the rest of us to know it's been dropped? No alerts are generated, no thread movement, no activity in the new posts screen. You'd have to manually seek out and check the thread, revisiting the OP. That doesn't work with how I browse the exchange, at least. Yes, you could mention the price drop in the next 48 hour bump, but that means adjusting the OP beforehand adds no benefit vs. doing it all at the same time. But if I'm watching that thread, the alert I receive from the price drop bump gives me a chance to check it out as soon as the price is adjusted, assuming I'm online at the time.

The argument against it is obvious - this is an aggressive marketplace with a lot of activity and visibility is key. The 48 hour bump rule is in place to help give everybody a fair shot at some visibility and dropping the price just to get a quicker bump is unfair and circumvents the rules.

So I'm still torn. Really, price drop bumps don't bother me - if an item I'm interested in is getting a better price, great, and I like the alert. And if the seller actually thinks the extra bump is worth the price they're "paying" in the decrease of pricing, then let them "buy" it.

And let's say I pass on an item, spend my money on something else less desirable, then the price is dropped to something I'd pay but no longer have the funds; dang it, I missed out. That could happen regardless, but if the timing was due to the seller having to wait for the 48 hour rule, it would have worked out better for me had he been allowed to drop/bump it earlier...

But if a new policy / rule / forum functionality is put in place forbidding price drop bumps before 48 hours, then I'd support it - in most cases there's no reason a seller can't wait the 48 hours before updating the price. Heck, maybe if they do wait, someone will come along with a better offer before they drop it, you never know...

The one that really bugs me is when a Sale Thread is created and a few hours later the seller bumps their thread with a price drop. Really it's pretty obvious what you are doing and thank god for the'Report' button.

The constant offenders should have there posts deleted and maybe a few days off, Just my opinion which I'm sure several will agree with.

I rarely visit the exchange threads... Usually because I was tagged in the thread.

A question, though: if someone edits a thread in the exchange, does it bump? I was under the impression that editing does not bump based on the experience in the non exchange areas.

My main gripe is someone bumping with a minor price reduction. But that's not a formal issue, that's the seller being silly with pricing from the beginning.

Bump with an update is acceptable. Bump within the rules is fine with me.

Not sure what else can I contribute...

There is one I'm looking at right now......practically a discussion thread today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back