• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Price drops/bumps/comments in exchange section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the whole point of the two week "waiting period" for those who choose not to pay for a premium membership a way to "pay your dues" instead of paying cash money for the upfront exchange privileges? To me that adds value to you as a member and the forum as well instead of being a "buy/sell/trade" only person who paid to get there quicker. I know when I waited the two weeks it forced me to view the rest of the forum and to contribute thus making my membership more valuable to me. It also gave me a greater appreciation for the forum and its members.

Wanted to comment on the comments in sales threads.

I've been guilty of unnecessarily commenting in some exchange threads. I get it. It is a waste of time to view see a cluttered thread. But it helps that I'm rarely there anyway. But if I'm tagged in an exchange thread, best believe, I WILL RESPOND.

Wanted to comment on the comments in sales threads.

I've been guilty of unnecessarily commenting in some exchange threads. I get it. It is a waste of time to view see a cluttered thread. But it helps that I'm rarely there anyway. But if I'm tagged in an exchange thread, best believe, I WILL RESPOND.
@QLR1 :)

Regarding the comment / reply bumps...

I'm totally against them. IMO it should go even further - exchange threads should be locked the entire time, nobody should be allowed to post on them at all other than the seller.

OakleyBoss has commented that the value added by allowing open posts is it can provide better info about the item. Though that is true, it is not necessary to accomplish that goal, and in practice it rarely works that way.

- GLWS and "nice item" and "great seller" bumps are terrible. We have feedback scores, and people who think they're helping a seller with a post like that need to realize doing so also hurts others, knocked down by the bump...

- "PM sent" posts really don't matter. They're not mandatory and not everybody does them, so being the first to post "PM sent" doesn't necessarily mean you were the first to send a PM. I rarely post these; what I'm trying to buy isn't anybody else's business.

- Questions about the item (@OakleyBoss) - these can be asked via PM. If the answer should be included in the listing, if only to prevent the seller from having to answer the same question again and again, then it's up to the seller to update the listing to include that info. A quality, well-described listing is the responsibility of the seller, not the rest of the community.

- General chit-chat info about the item - it doesn't have to happen in a sale thread. There are plenty of appropriate discussion forum areas for that sort of banter. And doing it there doesn't knock down other peoples' listings.

- Warnings about the seller, inaccurate descriptions, etc - again can be handled via PM. Inaccurate? PM the seller. Think the listing is shady or have some other problem with it? PM a mod... Calling people out publicly is against the rules anyway.

- Think it's overpriced? Ignore it and move on. Such a comment is worthless. If it's overpriced, they'll figure it out on their own when it doesn't sell. Also, maybe you're wrong, somebody will pay that...

We aren't ebay, but the exchange can benefit by some of the example it sets. Since we don't do auctions here, the exchange could be considered an example of their BIN OBO format. How does that work?

- The seller is 100% responsible for the listing content.
- Offers made by other members are not publicly visible.
- No public commentary is possible by people other than the seller.
- Questions about the item can be privately asked. If the seller wants to include the question and answer in their listing, they have the option to make it publicly visible.
- Shady listings are reported directly to ebay.

It works there; no reason it wouldn't work here, too. All it'd take is to keep the exchange threads always locked to everybody except the OP.

In practice, though, I have been known on rare occasion to answer informational questions posted on somebody else's sale thread; did that the other day for a question about the Finito colorway, the other month about an item listed as the wrong version... But had I not been able to, it wouldn't have hurt anything; the questioner could have gotten his answer elsewhere, and the inaccurate description could have been handled with PMs... I need to practice what I preach...

Last edited:
In summary, a view of impact could be considered...

What is the main pain point here? Bumps other than the allowed 48 hour bumps, whether they're price drops, comments, replies, or anything else.

Forbidding price drop bumps outside of the 48 hour bump window? That only eliminates one small class of bumps, small impact, while potentially hurting someone with a desperate need to get some funds... And takes a lot of continuing effort to monitor and enforce.

Forbidding all posts except from the seller? This would eliminate (I'd guess maybe) 90% of unnecessary bumps, large impact, without really creating new problems and would take no extra effort to enforce after implimented. If that much bumping was wiped out, still allowing price drop bumps wouldn't be a big deal.

IMO.

In summary, a view of impact could be considered...

What is the main pain point here? Bumps other than the allowed 48 hour bumps, whether they're price drops, comments, replies, or anything else.

Forbidding price drop bumps outside of the 48 hour bump window? That only eliminates one small class of bumps, small impact, while potentially hurting someone with a desperate need to get some funds... And takes a lot of continuing effort to monitor and enforce.

Forbidding all posts except from the seller? This would eliminate (I'd guess maybe) 90% of unnecessary bumps, large impact, without really creating new problems and would take no extra effort to enforce after the implimented. If that much bumping was wiped out, still allowing price drop bumps wouldn't be a big deal.

IMO.
GLWS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back