• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Price For A BNIB Plate 24K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A "fair price" is subjective, and he didn't ask for that. He said "what would be a good selling price." I merely stated what my experience has been with this particular pair. Because everyone bought theirs at different times and places, the prices should obviously be different.

A "fair price" is subjective, and he didn't ask for that. He said "what would be a good selling price." I merely stated what my experience has been with this particular pair. Because everyone bought theirs at different times and places, the prices should obviously be different.
he didn't ask for how much you bought yours either, did he? this is just semantics. you don't have to defend yourself. I'm just frustrated that we are to blame for the ridiculous prices. I wish everyone (including myself) would give what they feel is the fair price and not be about buying or selling.

Last edited:
As with any particular pair, price fluctuates greatly depending on time and popularity. This is why i paid $300 BNIB 2 years ago. (ninja edit)

I already had the other two pairs and was looking to complete the set. Everything else out there at the time was selling right at $300, for crap pairs. For whatever reason, the Plates were hot and finding a new clean pair was pretty hard. I had the opportunity to buy one brand new from a fellow member, so i took it. Did i overpay? Maybe, but i didn't mind as that's what it took for me as a collector to complete my set.

This is why i agree with fretburner79. "A fair price is subjective". Price depends on a lot of factors at play at any given time. If you want everyone to give a fair price, then why don't we all just ask for retail pricing?

A great example of this is the PB2's. Retail is $600. People are presumed to be buying them at a "fair price" which was set by Oakley. Then you have Woot.com selling at a fire sale at $150. Now the collector market is flooded with pairs that were super cheap. Now which one is the "fair price"? Try standing on both sides and you tell me.

In the end, it's basic economics: Supply and Demand.

EDIT:

So i just went through my photo album and this pic was taken in 2012, so 2 years ago :p

7634774110_fd2f0c3613_b.jpg

Last edited:
bought mine BNIB for 300... i dont mind the price coz i really wanted the pair... but to say fair price for this maybe i could say 150-200... the pair aint metal but damn the plate looks cool!

As with any particular pair, price fluctuates greatly depending on time and popularity. This is why i paid $300 BNIB 2 years ago. (ninja edit)

I already had the other two pairs and was looking to complete the set. Everything else out there at the time was selling right at $300, for crap pairs. For whatever reason, the Plates were hot and finding a new clean pair was pretty hard. I had the opportunity to buy one brand new from a fellow member, so i took it. Did i overpay? Maybe, but i didn't mind as that's what it took for me as a collector to complete my set.

This is why i agree with fretburner79. "A fair price is subjective". Price depends on a lot of factors at play at any given time. If you want everyone to give a fair price, then why don't we all just ask for retail pricing?

A great example of this is the PB2's. Retail is $600. People are presumed to be buying them at a "fair price" which was set by Oakley. Then you have Woot.com selling at a fire sale at $150. Now the collector market is flooded with pairs that were super cheap. Now which one is the "fair price"? Try standing on both sides and you tell me.

EDIT:

So i just went through my photo album and this pic was taken in 2012, so 2 years ago :p

I didn't say anyone specifically was not giving a fair price. I said it because some one mentioned the price would be different if selling. I know your fair price might be higher than mine and that's fine as long as we set that price regardless if we're buying or selling. I define fair price as the middle ground of buying and selling (high and low)

As with any particular pair, price fluctuates greatly depending on time and popularity. This is why i said i paid $300 BNIB last year.

EDIT:

Yup, that is how I base my prices. from it's msrp.

Plate platinum and silver were both $185 and the the bronze was $195 with boxes. I just do plus or minus somewhere close to that price range.
So my FAIR for a new one would be $200 max with box. Anything over $200, I would rather buy a metal.

Here are my plates purchases everything is close to mint no boxes.

2 silvers $60, $135
Platinum $112
Bronze $250 (There is a personal reason why I spent over $200 on this bronze).

To answer the pb2 question, first it is a pb2, not elite. $600 msrp. Am I willing to spend $600 on plastic? Nope. Since it was $149.99 on woot. Then it is a deal price. Why is that we sell less than $600 for any standard pitboss on the forum? Because some one sold for that low price and everyone followed.

Bottom line, msrp price plus minus. if it is more than twice the msrp, No thanks. If it is less than msrp, good find.

With @MachineHead is saying most of the time it is just US collectors who does the fluctuation on items. Now someone responded with $300 for bnib, the newbie will now consider the highest price the person responded.

I realized that collecting is not about rushing. It is the hunt for steals and deals that keeps me going.

bought mine BNIB for 300... i dont mind the price coz i really wanted the pair... but to say fair price for this maybe i could say 150-200... the pair aint metal but damn the plate looks cool!
Yes they are supercool that is why i have 4 and needs more, but with a 250-300 price.....???? Nah! Just wait for a fair price, good things comes from those who wait patiently.
Just to share how cool they are
image_zpsd0e5ee1f.jpg

I didn't say anyone specifically was not giving a fair price. I said it because some one mentioned the price would be different if selling. I know your fair price might be higher than mine and that's fine as long as we set that price regardless if we're buying or selling. I define fair price as the middle ground of buying and selling (high and low)

That makes perfect sense.

Yup, that is how I base my prices. from it's msrp.

Plate platinum and silver were both $185 and the the bronze was $195 with boxes. I just do plus or minus somewhere close to that price range.
So my FAIR for a new one would be $200 max with box. Anything over $200, I would rather buy a metal.

Here are my plates purchases everything is close to mint no boxes.

2 silvers $60, $135
Platinum $112
Bronze $250 (There is a personal reason why I spent over $200 on this bronze).

To answer the pb2 question, first it is a pb2, not elite. $600 msrp. Am I willing to spend $600 on plastic? Nope. Since it was $149.99 on woot. Then it is a deal price. Why is that we sell less than $600 for any standard pitboss on the forum? Because some one sold for that low price and everyone followed.

Bottom line, msrp price plus minus. if it is more than twice the msrp, No thanks. If it is less than msrp, good find.

With @MachineHead is saying most of the time it is just US collectors who does the fluctuation on items. Now someone responded with $300 for bnib, the newbie will now consider the highest price the person responded.

I realized that collecting is not about rushing. It is the hunt for steals and deals that keeps me going.

I think you might have missed my point a bit? I mentioned supply and demand. I also mentioned at the time i was looking for a pair of 24k Plates, there wasn't a lot of supply. I wanted to have all 3, and prices were pretty steep for less than perfect pairs (scratched lenses/frames, fading on the earstems). When a pristine pair came up at $300, i thought it was fair based on the circumstances. By comparison, people were paying a premium for any/all metals because the public got wind that they were getting discontinued. Collectors were also hording them up driving up prices. Again, this was two years ago. I feel like you're arguing the price i paid two years ago based on the prices they're going for today. Let's put it this way, if i were to buy a Plate today, i wouldn't pay $300 if people were paying around $150 and could easily find them BNIB. However, if it is still hard to find BNIB and i still needed the pair, maybe i would pay a higher premium just to complete the collection (demand).

Again, value is subjective, and you've clearly demonstrated this citing your preference to buy metal vs. plastic as well as your personal reason for spending $250 on the bronze plate. You yourself are placing value based on your own beliefs. Whether you'd pay a premium or not, is up to you. My point is that someone else will based on their beliefs. That's why i used the PB2 as an example. You wouldn't pay it (and i wouldn't either), but someone at some point did, just as you've said MSRP +/- should be considered "fair". Just because a lucky few got them for less, shouldn't mean the "Fair" price gets driven down. It just means someone got a deal. That person who got them for $150 could turn around and sell them in the future for $600. Is that fair? That would depend on the market for them at that point.

They guy asked how much is a fair rate for them at today's time. You replied $300. But that was the price you paid 2 years ago. Now the guy thinks that is how much the fair price is. That is what machinehead point is as well that sometimes it is us collectors who set the ridiculous prices for them.

As far as your supply and demand, there maybe a difficult to find supply out there. If you would have patiently waited, you have paid a deal price.

Status
Not open for further replies.