• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prices Are Stupid Crazy.

tarheel7734

Oakley Expert
Texas
The inflation of x metals are quite stupid. Within 2 months people think they are worth 100 to 500 more then they actually are. I blame the people on ebay. Guess i wont be buying a pair of xx anytime soon as they in no way are worth more than 350, and a used pair of juliets mint not worth more than 300. People are going nuts over the current line being discontinued. Hell people want 500 and up for ih juliets and they are in no way rare. All my local stores still have them in stock. I just wish it would go back to normal, and i am sure it will after a bit of time.

Remember prices were above retail for discontinued pieces before X Metal production ceased, it seems any real surge in demand was for the items still available, like X Squared, any '09 issues, and the odd Half X still up for grabs. Glasses like Japan Ti Clear Juliets, Ichiro, Leather Mars and Jordan Romeo with the text box and all the XX have long been hailed among the most appealing collectables regardless of the X Metals being stopped. Also consider, if the prices are crazy now, what about in 10, 30, or 50 years from now for complete, mint pairs??

As ever prices are dictated by the market & what people are willing to pay. Look at the Romeo 1's. Last year they were going for about £200.00 on eBay here in the UK & the OTT's at £150.00. Not a chance now.

Like Romeo stated, the biggest jump I have seen is in X-Squareds. I have three and paid right around 200-225 for them about a year ago. Now it seems like they all go for retail on ebay which I do not fully understand becuase most O stores/Vaults still have a full stock of them. I guess there may be a bit of panic among people thinking that if they do not get them now they will never get them. I agree that 10, 20, 30 years from now prices will be very high, but I also think that once the inital panic settles down the prices will follow with the exception of things like leather mars, 24k xx, romeo 1s, ichiro's, finito's ect.

Also keep in mind that not everyone has access to an Oakley Store or Vault and not every store has the pair any given person is looking for. Some people have no other choice than to go onto ebay to get what they're looking for. We also know that Oakley employees hate transferring stock to other stores so it's not always easy to get that one pair you're after.

Also keep in mind that not everyone has access to an Oakley Store or Vault and not every store has the pair any given person is looking for. Some people have no other choice than to go onto ebay to get what they're looking for. We also know that Oakley employees hate transferring stock to other stores so it's not always easy to get that one pair you're after.

That the truth about stores. I don't have a store within 200 hundred miles. I'm going to the beach this fall for my 10 year anniversary.
I'm hoping that the store down there will still have some decent stuff after summer. Got lucky that my brother got the infinite hero juliets for me. The sunglass huts, and local Oakley retailers suck around here. I used to get a pair a year from a place I worked at. I got cost plus 10% and shipping on them. Only could get a couple a year though. They would ask every time are you selling them. I would have to bring the old ones in and show the head guy.

The last time I was in a sports store they were trying to sell the cheap italian brand glasses over Oakley and some other stuff they had. They also has very little stock of there O stuff. My case has more stuff in it then what they had.

As for the X metal line most places I gone have almost never had them. I have had to order online or through Oakley direct.
I have gotten a couple on ebay but usually set a limit that I would not go over. sellers also seem to know that people are in a panic to buy things up.

I have been stocking up on lenses and earsock kits but only through Oakley and Amazon.

the jump in prices is just a normal thing when a new forum pops up because of the increase in hype it causes. when the o review started there was a huge jump in prices. after a few years when members matured as collectors the prices went down. now the oakley forum has popped up and the cycle will continue again for a few years. plus it is summertime. prices are higher during the summer when there is more demand.

Its not the employees that hate to transfer stock, it comes from the higher ups. Its a lot of lame politics involved. Your best bet to have a store transfer is to find out which store has an item, call it, and then ask yourself for them to transfer it to the store closest to you.

Its going to get more expensive over time, I would suggest that if you want and can find a pair still located in a store that you grab it up and call it a day... Because like RVF said in 10-20 years who knows what they will bring, but I bet it wont be a loss situation!

Latest Posts

Back