• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Daily or Tungsten iridium polarized?

Prizm Daily or Tungsten iridium polarized?

• Prizm

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Tungsten

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
I really like the Prizm, the clarity is really good. I live in New Mexico, and the sun can be a killer. So with the Prizm's, there's times where I feel needing more and will want a darker lens. But on overcast days, the Prizm's are great.

If someone held a gun to my head, I don't know what I'd say... I love both of these lenses very much... I mean I guess if I HAD to choose one... I guess I'd have to get the Prizm. Final answer.

These are two colorways that I have to have around though. I seem to want ALL of the below colorways in all the new Oakley frames that I own... Haha.

-Sapphire
-Prizm Daily
-Tungsten

OK so I just got my first Prizm Daily and wore today walking through the city to a park. And I stated earlier in this thread that I like Tungsten Iridium alot, my favorite Oakley every day tint. I still say the same thing.
I think it depends what your uses are but I think Tungsten Iridium is a more versatile lens.
Here's my assessment of Prizm Daily.
Pros:
Great colors in flat overcast and shady areas. Colors are still vibrant even in dimly lit areas.
Light tint that can be worn all day even indoors and in the shade, even late in the day close to sundown.
Can wear inside and out and is still contrasty, without being a amber base. Similar to Jade and Emerald with accurate color grey base but with more contrast. So it is more versatile than BIP in dimmer light, and more accurate colors compared to the yellowish Tungsten Iridium.
It's like a VR28 but with only the slightest rose hue.

Cons:
Not dark enough. If I looked towards (not directly at) the bright glaring sun, I did have to squint. Something I don't have to do with most Oakley tints, except the lightest tints like bronze, clear, persimmon, yellow. So I wouldn't use for bright sun races or other sports. I wouldn't use in desert climates like Vegas, Arizona, it's just not dark enough. I would not choose Prizm Daily for the beach.
No Iridium coating. Most of my lenses are Iridium coated so I didn't realize how effective it was until today. The glare of LED accent lights on Mercedes and other german cars was very harsh looking through the Prizm Daily. All of my Iridium lenses cut that glare down significantly, but the Prizm daily did not. And bright sun reflecting off glass also had alot of glare, which Tungsten Iridium and other Iridium lenses do not. Now I know its not only the polarization that dampens the harsh glare, its the Iridium too.

I think if you know you are going to encounter bright sun at some point, choose Tungsten Iridium. But if you are just wearing your Oakleys in a mix of shade and indoors, or at a outdoor social function then Daily Prizms are great.
But for travel, beach, outdoor sports, driving, I'm sticking with Tungsten Iridium and saving Prizm Daily for lower light, non-bright sun conditions.
So Tungsten Iridium still wins for most versatile everyday lens in my opinion.

Im in Vietnam now on a work trip. And did a farming and fishing tour in Hoi An. I have both Prizm Daily and Tungsten Iridium Polarized. And in bright mid-day Vietnam sun with no shade anywhere, and bright conditions on the Thu Bon river, Tungsten all the way. Even in the brightest sun Tungsten holds up. But Prizm is just too light.
For travel to sunny places or just the one lens i will always bring on trips or the the answer to the question if you could only have one lens on a deserted island.
Tungsten period.

Back