• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm question

brightroar

Oakley Beginner
Am I the only one that thinks we need a Prizm Drive lens? Daily and Road just don't get it for me. I go back to one of the OO or VR28BIP if I am driving for an extended period of time. If you can sponsor/partner with motorsports, give us an updated driving lens!

It would have less light transmission. At least in urban driving I find the biggest issue is everything is SO BRIGHT and even with polarization there are just SO many reflective surfaces magnifying every ray. Road is out of the question for driving because its 20% and Daily is 14% so barely serviceable although that's still pushing it. OO BIP and VR28 BIP are both 10%- and it's a huge difference. But I doubt it'll happen- Lux seems intent on new lens offerings being blindingly bright.

Add a bit more iridium to Daily and it should be perfect. It would also hide your eyes better which some people consider very important ;) My favorite driving lenses are Prizm daily, OO BIP and tungsten iridium polarized. I'm fond of VR28 BIP as well.

Add a bit more iridium to Daily and it should be perfect. It would also hide your eyes better which some people consider very important ;) My favorite driving lenses are Prizm daily, OO BIP and tungsten iridium polarized. I'm fond of VR28 BIP as well.
That is exactly the opposite of what glasses used in traffic should be imo.......getting eye contact with bikers, pedestrians and other drivers is very important. The feeling of eye contact lets you know the other person has seen you and vice versa, and dangerous situations and misunderstandings can be avoided.

I don't think light transmission needs to be darker, I just think the tint needs to be more driving tuned. Going off Oakley for a second, my Serengeti polarized drivers glass lens glasses, are my favorite driving lens. Its photochromic 10%-18% but doesn't change behind windshields anyway, and I find it to be fine in even the brightest glaring direct sun. No mirror finish either. I never take them off while driving as it's light enough for even the darkest overcast/storm and dusk light conditions. They are the gold/amber tint. Their tint has been tuned to make reds from brake lights and traffic lights pop more, which I know the Prizm Road and Vr28 and other rose bases don't do well.
I think Oakley should make a Prizm polarized "Drive" lens that doesn't need iridium, and is tuned specifically for driving. And doesn't mute reds with their tint, so likely an amber base like a tungsten.

That is exactly the opposite of what glasses used in traffic should be imo.......getting eye contact with bikers, pedestrians and other drivers is very important. The feeling of eye contact lets you know the other person has seen you and vice versa, and dangerous situations and misunderstandings can be avoided.

I don't think others outside of your car will see your eyes in any of Oakley's sub 20% lenses, even without iridium. I do see your point though ;)

It would have less light transmission. At least in urban driving I find the biggest issue is everything is SO BRIGHT and even with polarization there are just SO many reflective surfaces magnifying every ray. Road is out of the question for driving because its 20% and Daily is 14% so barely serviceable although that's still pushing it. OO BIP and VR28 BIP are both 10%- and it's a huge difference. But I doubt it'll happen- Lux seems intent on new lens offerings being blindingly bright.

This is assuming one is always driving in bright conditions. In that case, OO and BIP are already the lenses for the job.

Going darker makes for less leeway for effective contrast since there's less light to manipulate/filter. It'll just be a case of turning things warm or cool, and therefore likely redundant to current offerings. I'm assuming Oakley went as dark as they could with Daily before compromising any advantages in contrast properties.

I don't think others outside of your car will see your eyes in any of Oakley's sub 20% lenses, even without iridium. I do see your point though ;)
You're right, no matter what kind of sunglass you are wearing, no one can see your eyes from distance in traffic

Latest Posts

Back