• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Proof that Oakley is actually discontinuing Holbrooks?

OakleyLewis74

Oakley Enthusiast
Have heard rumors for over 2 years now. Keep hearing these are on the way out with very little proof to go with it. Any real proof? And I hear them saying Slivers are more likely to replace them when Slivers in my opinion are a huge bust and can't hold a candle to the Holbrooks. But hey I am not surprised with Oakleys decision making anymore lol.

Well we've heard such about other models before and its never been really that the models so much discontinued as they phased out...no new colorways or special editions came out and what was out slowly lessened.

Now that said? Oakley would be CRAZY to discontinue the Holbrook. Am I a huge fan? No. In fact I just bought my first and frankly I STILL don't think it looks the best on me though I can pull it off...and something about the wayfarer design looks anti Oakley too. BUT- I'm obviously in the minority because as of today 10% of the top sellers list on Oakley.com are Holbrooks- and for a 6 year old model that's pretty damn good- only other model that's close is the Turbine Rotor with 4 and which is a bonafide hit despite having Omatter the consistency of Red Vines.

Again- it still sells exceptionally well- I can't see it truly being discontinued anytime soon. As for the Sliver- well....can't really speak to it as I have no experience but it DOES seem like it's clearance-ing quickly...and it's not a top seller either for whatever that's worth. Either way seems the Holbrook is going strong

There have been posts on this very topic. The Brooks won't die. Popular frame and it rarely goes on a clearance.

It is kinda like the Frogs and roaches. They don't die, they multiply.

If there isn't a mass clearance on it, I don't believe the rumors... Even from the guy who posted otherwise and claims that he works for Oakley.

Sliver is less popular from the looks of it, but Oakley seems intent to go forward with 12,000 variants in its attempts replace the Holbrook lol.

Sent from Q's Note5

What makes you say the Sliver is a bust? Are you privy to sales forecasts and sales numbers?
I am privy to Oakley and have decent knowledge on the products and how well they are being perceived. Slivers (Sliver-F's included) are a bust. They are flimsy and break easily. Now as I said it is my OPINION.

I am privy to Oakley and have decent knowledge on the products and how well they are being perceived. Slivers (Sliver-F's included) are a bust. They are flimsy and break easily. Now as I said it is my OPINION.

I will concur with you regarding the Sliver F...that was a bust. There was an industry wide fire sale on them during the holiday season... One could have gotten one for $50 or so with the right sales. I'm surprised they just didn't let the low prices stick on them so they could be completely gone. The regular Slivers aren't much better, you can get some for less than a c-note if you look in the right places.

They feel flimsy because of the word... A Sliver anything is supposed to be lightweight and probably flimsy. I have three (2 of the F and one regular) and they are ok... Nothing worth writing home about. But I wouldn't (and didn't) pay MSRP for it.

Sliver is around because Lux is propping it up. Holbrook is around because they sell, sell, sell.

Sent from Q's Note5

Oakley...sorry...LUX- would like to kill the Holbrook in place of the Sliver. It's cheaper because it uses less plastic (which they market as making it more lightweight even though that's total bs) and uses a cheaper version of whats less O-Matter now and more just plastic off the Dollar Store shelf. They can't really do that with the Holbrook because reformulation would piss the consumer off - if you start a model cheap you can get away with it but not if you change it cheap mindstream- you also can't increase the price midstream (note the Sliver is more). But the endgame is to turn every Oakley into something indistinguishable from $5 truck stop glasses. Well...other than the fact they're pushing $200

Back