• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Protectant For Aluminum Spine?

Batwolf358

Oakley Beginner
Georgia
I am working on storing a display case and was wondering if anyone knew of a good protectant to put on the brushed aluminum after refinishing it:

You could apply a varnish/lacquer of some some sort..

You can also use oil.. A food based oil. It will leave a grease residue though..

To be honest, I reckon you needn't use anything..

It's just that the brushed aluminum is so soft and very susceptible to scratches . I know that I can get a powder coat on it but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money.

It is pretty easy to put back the brushed effect with an abrasive. Scotch or similar, as long as you only brush in the right direction. You could make a wooden sanding block that fits the profile exactly and then just rub up and down.

I have discovered its best to use a sanding sponge or a doubled up Scotch brite pad in order to stay in contact with the surface when going over the rivets. I have spent two days sanding out scratches and gouges.. I don't want to sand anything else for a while lol

Hopefully in a week. Got the LED lighting today.. Now I just need a bunch of Oakley sunglasses and memorabilia to fill it up lol

Back