1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Watikjebrom

Watikjebrom Oakley Beginner

4 Days ago I bought a new pair of Holbrook Dark Grey with Black Iridium lensen. Lovely pair but after hardly wearing them I already noticed some minor scratches on both lenses. 1 scratch on the iridium side and on the other lens a scratch on the inner side. I know for sure that these scratches weren't on them when I bought them, so they must have come up during the last 4 days. That's quick and I feel a bit guttered! I'm always very carefull with my glasses and I have more Oakleys with Iridium lenses, never had any scratches on them. Bad luck or a quaility issue? Back to the store or make a complaint towards Oakley customer service? Please advise me.

Some pictures will help ...

Outside on the iridium, right lens
    Quality issue Black Iridium lenses - F9DF6331-C733-4E12-8DDA-36599692B152_zpsrx0pxh79.jpg

Inside, left lens
    Quality issue Black Iridium lenses - BD9B0176-F2B0-410D-B056-54B40B23DBFF_zpsko7kdnpk.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. JoshAD330

JoshAD330 Oakley Enthusiast

That really sucks man. I have several frames with Black Iridium lenses and so far I have not had any issues with them. In fact, the pair I wear to work almost daily is a pair of Crankcases with Black Iridium lenses. I have been wearing those for almost a year now and so far no scratches. I have to ask, did you use the Oakley cleaning kit to clean those lenses? I only use the Oakley cleaning solution and the microfiber bag. Also, before I wipe my lenses clean I look at them and blow some air on them just in case there are tiny particles of dust or something else on them. That way I wont scratch the lenses as I am wiping them

3. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Bad luck I would say. I am a freak about my lenses, that being said, i have scratched many. And it was always my fault. A defect would be bubbling or a crack from normal use after just buying them. A scratch is not a defect.

TheWannaBe likes this.
  4. 7legion77

7legion77 Oakley Enthusiast

I'm fastidious with my lenses... but if I plan on wearing them a lot, minor scratches are pretty much inevitable and as long as they don't impede my vision, there's no need to get all dainty about it.
    Its like driving a new car and then making a big deal over minor door dents and scratches on the paint.
    That's why its good to have several different frames so I don't overuse one of them. If you want to keep your Oakleys in pristine condition, the best solution is simply not to wear them!

5. Those almost look like scratches from cleaning without rinsing the lenses first. If there is ANYTHING on the lens or bag besides skin oils before you start rubbing the lenses you'll create scratches. It's usually best to rinse the lenses under water before rubbing them if at all possible.

6. JoshAD330

Well I think Watikjebrom has a good question. Minor scratches may be common after years or even months of overuse but when you get scratches like that after only 4 days you have to wonder.

7. JoshAD330

Exactly, thats why I said I look at my lenses and blow on them before I apply the Oakley solution and wipe them with the microfiber. It works for me. The microfiber bag needs to be washed regularly too.

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Oakley lenses aren't the most robust. Normal eyeglasses with actual glass lenses can take a lot more punishment without scratching. Polycarbonate, in contrast, is fairly soft.

9. Watikjebrom

Watikjebrom Oakley Beginner

Thanks all.

Normally I'm not such a 'weeny', but I was just unpleasantly surprised with these fast scratches. I always clean my lenses with special cloths for eyewear, but of course it could be that there was something on it that caused the scratches. However, for a pair of lenses of this value it just isn't normal. When you look at price/quality level they should be able to handle more severe abuse ... Just my 2cts.

Nevertheless, I wear them with joy, they look 'the bomb' and luckily the scratches don't affect my vision

10. TheWannaBe

TheWannaBe The O-Warrior Premium Member

I agree, best method is to use dish soap and just water. Eliminates risk of scratching and turns out a really clean lense. Bad luck man...