• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quality on serial vs non serial X metals

OakleyFreak

I put the G in GMoney
EveryWhere
Just curious
I have found that the stems on my serial # version of Juliets will close without touching the frame.
My non serial seemed to touch the frame when closed

On another note, I had purchased a new set of Juliets from the vault. Like 3 years ago
When I got them Box and coin and all , the stems collapsed hit the frames
I called Oakley, they didnt really have an answer, But they did take them back.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same

I really think its build quality
But would like to get other opinions as well.
I cant tell you how many pair of juliets I didnt buy because the stems hit the orbitals

The casting methods required for x-metals unavoidably introduced a certain degree of minor variation from batch to batch. This is most often seen with the orbitals, where one lens is a little loose (or, with XX, too tight). Another example is when you set them on a countertop and only one earstem tip contacts the countertop. This stem/frame contact is another, I believe. It's just the nature of the beast.

They did continue to refine their processes over the years, but these issues never went away. For example with the loose lens issue, the final design, XS, has built-in shims (something people had been doing DIY with earlier frames).

If you want to call it a lack of build quality, fine. But realize x-metals were doing something they were told couldn't be done. I think it's more accurately described as variances within a tolerance.

well it is build quality, but that is what you get with hand made products. they are not cookie cutter pieces. one of the two pairs of Juliets i have touches, but only on one side. so i can't say it's different generations, but maybe differences in who used the dremmel tool that day. lol. grind/sand a little bit more off the orbital by the hinge where the stem hits, or a little more off the stem where it hits the orbital by the hinge and it makes that difference.

hmmmm some of mines do touch the frames, but does that really matter?? x metals are hand made from scratch individually so I guess none are absolutely the same, same with the lenses they wiggle on some of the frames, some don't. If your going to be picky on the stems hitting the orbitals I guess you have to open and test them first b4 buying, but they were sealed at one point so thats a tough cookie, so my opinion is love them or hate them it is what it is just don't close em all the way through.

A few things I have noticed in the past is nosebridge tightness, angle of orbitalin nosebridge and the small earstem nub which stops the earstem from closing all the way. If any of this is slightly off the earstem will touch the orbital. I have seen this in older serialed models and some of the last made.

I have noticed that the earstem closing and touching the bottom portion of the orbital causes a wear mark on them after repeated use. I am going to chalk it all up to minor manufacturing errors. Just know the limits of the frame and what you can and can't do.

Back