• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Quality Pens

With modern Damascus, the blank is made by alternating layers of tarnishable and shiny metals, welded together then twisted / manipulated to create the patterns. Usually some sort of acid etching is used as a final step to bring out the contrasts.

Which means there's a wide variety of metals that can be used to make modern Damascus, of varying quality. Whether that matters depends on what it'll be used for, i.e. knife blade vs. ornament.

I've learned that 1095 & 15N20 are popular among knifemakers to creates quality performance Damascus blades, but 1095 rusts very easily...

If by "real" you mean original Damascus, unlikely - most examples of that are in museums and very high-end private collections...

Beautiful ring, BTW...

thanks i wanted something durable yet different and I like that it has some weight to it. I can tell you it is magnetic and that was something i did not think about until the first time a magnet stuck to it and startled me. then i went "well duh"

thanks i wanted something durable yet different and I like that it has some weight to it. I can tell you it is magnetic and that was something i did not think about until the first time a magnet stuck to it and startled me. then i went "well duh"

Yeah, means you'd have to take it off before going through a metal detector...

These days they've got those body scanners in about all of the airports in the US; I'm used to them now. It was kinda a surprise having to go through a metal detector on my return leg from Toronto recently, felt old-school...

With modern Damascus, the blank is made by alternating layers of tarnishable and shiny metals, welded together then twisted / manipulated to create the patterns. Usually some sort of acid etching is used as a final step to bring out the contrasts.

Which means there's a wide variety of metals that can be used to make modern Damascus, of varying quality. Whether that matters depends on what it'll be used for, i.e. knife blade vs. ornament.

I've learned that 1095 & 15N20 are popular among knifemakers to creates quality performance Damascus blades, but 1095 rusts very easily...

If by "real" you mean original Damascus, unlikely - most examples of that are in museums and very high-end private collections...

Beautiful ring, BTW...
My newest hard use knife is 1095. Damn thing will take a pounding unlike any of my other knives, and stay sharp doing it.

No rust issues yet. I finish using it by wiping it down with a cloth wetted in mineral oil before putting it in the plastic sheath.

My newest hard use knife is 1095. Damn thing will take a pounding unlike any of my other knives, and stay sharp doing it.

No rust issues yet. I finish using it by wiping it down with a cloth wetted in mineral oil before putting it in the plastic sheath.

Is it parkerized or have some other coating?

Yeah, that oil wipe is a good idea...

1095 is a longtime popular high-carbon blade steel. The traditional Kabar is 1095; I've put one through hell...

EDIT - But I snapped a 1095 machete batoning it through some logs...

Is it parkerized or have some other coating?

Yeah, that oil wipe is a good idea...

1095 is a longtime popular high-carbon blade steel. The traditional Kabar is 1095; I've put one through hell...

EDIT - But I snapped a 1095 machete batoning it through some logs...
http://www.eseeknives.com/

Mine's the 6"

Lifetime replacement warranty, no questions asked. There's a forum (might be bladforums) where a guy decided to just trash one of his. Shot holes in it, burned it, finally broke it after a ton of abuse. ESEE stood behind their warranty, sent him a brand new knife.

1617D29A-92AA-47B9-90C7-2C2FF5EAE813_zps4c7be4k7.jpg

http://www.eseeknives.com/

Mine's the 6"

Lifetime replacement warranty, no questions asked. There's a forum (might be bladforums) where a guy decided to just trash one of his. Shot holes in it, burned it, finally broke it after a ton of abuse. ESEE stood behind their warranty, sent him a brand new knife.

1617D29A-92AA-47B9-90C7-2C2FF5EAE813_zps4c7be4k7.jpg

Nice - reminds me a bit of the Tops stuff with the full tang, coated blade, and linen micarta handle, while being a more practical thickness than the massive 1/4" most Tops stuff is...

I think this thread proves that if it is a product that is made, there is someone that will collect it. I can honestly say I would never have thought of a pen collection.

I think this thread proves that if it is a product that is made, there is someone that will collect it. I can honestly say I would never have thought of a pen collection.
Some collector hobbies are just way more expensive than others. There's car collectors, pens, guns, swords, knives, stamps, coins, rocks, gems, and best of all.......Oakleys. ;)

Pretty much anything can turn into a collection almost. I guess it just depends on having a following.

Some collector hobbies are just way more expensive than others. There's car collectors, pens, guns, swords, knives, stamps, coins, rocks, gems, and best of all.......Oakleys. ;)

Pretty much anything can turn into a collection almost. I guess it just depends on having a following.

I fully understand, I have a sports jersey collection though that hasn't been added to in a while.

I've had a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck platinum line classique for many years. It was great during my sales days. Now it pretty much sits in a drawer most of the time. They have beautiful craftsmanship and are top quality, but like all other items of top quality, they have a high price tag. I just about had a heart attack the first time I thought a customer walked off with it. It got lots of attention and comments from the more affluent customers.