1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. jiveSEVEN

jiveSEVEN I Should Work at Oakley...

Does anyone know if the carbon frame fades or shows discoloration over time? I mean is it silver underneath if it scratches? The reason I ask is because I am about to get my 3rd carbon X Squared frame and I am thinking of trading it for an X Metal or Plasma frame. I love x metal because it is raw and you never have to worry about it flaking or what not over time.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Mr. K

Mr. K Oakley Enthusiast

As careful as I am with mine, faint scratches show the silver undeneath. I'd say they will wear through over time.

X metal or plasma are both much better for durability IMHO.

3. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

yeah dude... Xmetal is the KING. best finish for the line IMO. plus its the colorway for namesake..

4. dcl10

dcl10 Oakley Beginner

The titanium underneath will show through if scratched. The only black ones I wore a lot were some polished black Juliets. The finish eventually wore through a little at the hinges and the bottom of the orbitals, but not too bad. If durability is your first priority Plama, Polished, and X-metal are better options,

5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

actually i would just stick to polished and xmetal. plasma has those peeling issues.. ive seen recent plasma versions with discoloration too so..

6. jonoyong

jonoyong Inside Outlaw. Staff Member Premium Member

damn. i actually love the carbon frame. those and the Xmetal frame are the favs in my eyes. =) followed closely by the polished.

7. jiveSEVEN

jiveSEVEN I Should Work at Oakley...

I do like the carbon frames...with some TLC I'm sure it's possible to keep em in excellent condition. My favs are x metal, carbon, polished in that order hehe.

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Oakley Enthusiast

This worries me, 2 of my XS are plasma. So do all plasma peel over time? Even in the newer XS models? If so with proper care can this be prevented? I take good care of my stuff, sometimes over protective.

9. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

im sure it'll be fine with due care. but its still a pain to baby it so much.. x metal looks great and is durable.. win-win!

10. NMOne

NMOne Oakley Beginner

I apparently have a very, very very tiny nick on the underside of the right orbital near the screw. Not sure how that happened and you have to hold them at an angle under the light to see, but there is a very, very very tiny pinprick of silver showing. Even knowing that it's there it doesn't bother me. I'm never selling these Juliets so in the long run it doesn't personally matter.