• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question About Lenses

fretburner79

O-Educator
I ordered a ruby juliet lense from Oakley and they came in looking much more like fire than ruby. Hardly any red at all. I'm looking for something with a deep red, or at least one that doesn't look like fire. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks. Here's an example of what I'm after.
ja9uhage.jpg

Hit or miss on ruby....mine are more purple then red, some first gen ruby lenses @$200.00 have a beautyfull red hue to them, so you may have to shop around and find the right color your looking for.

I've seen some aftermarket lenses on ebay, but it's hard to tell what they really look like because it's typically a stock photo instead of a real pic. Is there another option someone would recommend other than stock?

Its kinda like putting a Buick V6 in a 458 Ferrari, stay away from aftermarket, there are 2 good lens cutters within this forum that may be able to help you out.

Yeah, latter rubys are more "fruby".

+1 on staying away from aftermarkets.

dr.chop, xmetalmaniac, and InfiniteHero all do custom cuts. I was very pleased with some work by InfiniteHero but I hear equal praise for chop and maniac.

I'd say +red / +red polarized (as in "positive red") are your best bet right now. They go red-purple-blue, depending on the light angle and intensity. OO red is very similar but it has a contrast tint and is better for lower light levels, plus it gets a bit more of the purple-blue. It seems like with all of them there's some slight variation from set to set, but the two lenses in any particular pair should match.

Skim though the last couple weeks of the thread "what Oakleys are you wearing today?" under the sunglasses discussion forum and you should see a few examples of each.

I have 3 sets of positive red and to be honest I never liked any of them. What I wanted back when I ordered them is still what I'm after. A red lense. Not a red to purple. All of my positives are much more purple than red at all.

Thanks for info, I'll shoot out some messages about custom cuts. My issue is that what good would a custom cut do me, if the color is still off? A guy on fb told me a bit ago that the only way to get that real deep red is by finding a 1st gen. lense, or buy an aftermarket. I'd like to stay away from the latter if possible.

Back