• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question about Movement and tuning.. Juliet and R2

ooohoney43

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
TEXAS
I'm new to x-metal and have a question about frame movement and tuning. I've had my Juliet about 2 months and the R2 about a month. I bought both knowing they needed work. After research here I made my choice of tuner and sent them off. Actually I've sent the Juliet off twice and the R2 once.

My question is; what is acceptable flex/movement?

As stated above, I'm a newbie and may be expecting more than I should. When I bought my Juliet the right side was fully impacted, it moved up/down till stop, but not forward/back (flex, I assume). After I received them back i wore them a few hours and noticed they were back in the same condition prior to the tune. I contacted my tuner and was promptly taken care of. When I sent my Juliet for re-tune I also sent my R2 for a tune as well. The R2 were fully impacted, both left/right, up/down not forward/back. Now that I've worn the R2 it now has forward/back movement. Both frames now move forward/back.

I've spent hours reading posts about other owners having X-Metals for years with no movement issues and others having to have tune-ups about yearly.

Am I being anal? Or should I expect my frames to move? What's acceptable movement?

I apologize if I'm not using the correct terms within my descriptions. I'll get there.

This is in no way an assault on my tuner, please don't take it that way.

Thank you for your time and comments.

I hope i can word this correctly...the x-metals are not meant to be 100% rigid. If they were, they would not have put in the flez coupler. It allows an otherwise very rigid material, titanium alloy, to conform to the face and fit snuggly. So, yes, there should be some flew allowed front to back. It allows the glasses to fit different sized heads. Over time the rubber coupler inside the nose bridge will wear down causing a less "tightness" feeling. You may be being a little anal about it as if you wear the glasses like you should, the looseness will evetually happen. But you are in the right place full of 'tuners' to help. To help minimize wear, put the glasses on like you would goggles. Otherwise just wear and enjoy them and if they get loose in a year or two send um in and start over. Dont let a little wiggle bother you if you are wearing the glasses. I had a customer come in to my job the other day with a pair of juliets. They were so loose that when he picked them up by an earstem it looked like they twisted and folded in half. When he put them on they looked normal and he loved them, so they were still completely functional. So after my ranting...just wear um and enjoy, dont get too caught up with tightness until it affects functionality, then have um tuned and enjoy some more. Hope this helps in some way.

Flex couplers should allow the frame to flex front back and up down. Once you stop flexing it they should return back to normal position. Some people prefer rock tight (almost like welded nose bridge) tune up as they feel there's less ongoing costs. Others prefer the original flex as intended. The problem is as soon as the flex couplers deteriorate the metal parts start scraping each other. In conjunction with the number of tune ups previously performed on the frame, the wear and tear gradually enlarge the cavity, which means a simple piece of flex coupler can no longer cater for variation in different frames. I personally do tune ups using custom made flex couplers for each frame as I find that's the only way to accommodate each frame's specific need

The level of acceptance varies from person to person. For me, I could only accept slight horizontal wiggle and very minimal vertical wiggle. In any case if the fit is too loose, you can always overcome the problem by using a thicker temple shox

You will never open the cavity with rubbing the orbital tabs to the nosebridge .my rubber is also cut per the frame because penny's, xx,and Juliet's have different geometry.first gen to 5th gen also changes things because of the tab geometry.i believe it was me that tuned your frames twice and both times I couldn't figure out why you wanted them any tighter.

The only other solution is to use OEM rubber in the nose bridge but you're not going to like how much those flex either .......

Thank you for this information. As stated above I'm a newbie and as with anything I'm new too I tend to be a little, or a lot, anal. I'll get better..

I've been an owner for a couple months with no beginning knowledge, but I am learning. I love my metals and will continue to buy them.

X-Man, yes, you were and will continue to be my tuner. Being that this is more of an educational based question, I hope you don't take this as an attack on the service you provided on my frames. Thank you for the service you provide.

Love them!!

If I'm doing something that somebody doesn't like I always have corrected the problem at no charge, somehow you need to get your hands on a new OEM pair so you can feel it.but as time goes on the oem fit will deteriorate .I guess by now I've done 1500 pairs and never had any come back because the rubber was degrading. If there's anything I could do to make you happy just let me know.

The pairs I've had tuned by x-man came back tighter than OEM.

Some movement is how they were designed, and how much is acceptable is subjective. Personally when they are no longer tight enough to sit on top of my head without sliding off, they're ready to tune. For others, they consider it acceptable up to the point where they no longer stay on your face.