• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question About My Juliets & A-Wires - Save, Sell, Or Toss??? PICS ADDED

trippledigitss

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. Hoping to get some help/advice on some glasses I've had for quite some time. Maybe too hard to answer w/o seeing the glasses and I'm sure there are several different opinions but I'm still interested in what you all have to say.

I have 3 pairs of old original Oakley glasses and I am wondering if they would be considered desirable as collectables and if I should try & sell them or if I should toss them?

One set are Juilets, I think they are one of the first versions they came out with. They have polished frames and fire polarized lenses - the frames are in very good condition but the lenses are hammered and the nose bridge may be a little loose but still fully wearable. I also have the original box with matching S/N, coin, and a soft vault. Is it worth spending the $150 to send them in for a complete tune-up including replacing the nose bridge, new lenses, and rubber pieces to offer them for sale?

I also have two sets of original A Wires, one set is thick with polished frames, & polarized green lenses. The lenses should probably be replaced. I dont think I have the box with this set, just a small soft vault.

The third set is the thin version A-Wire with very long rubber covers on the arms. The lenses are black iridium and in fair shape.

I havent looked closely at the A-Wires in awhile but I seem to remember not being able to find a S/N on them? I know for a fact the thick set is genuine because I bought them at the Oakley store I think at the same time I got the Juliets. The other set I bought used on FeeBay a few years back and have no idea how to verify if they are legit.

Are any of these glasses worth trying to tune up and sell? And if so, ball park $ I would expect to get? I realize price is largely dependent on condition so I am just wondering what a rough estimate would be.

Thanks for any help & guidance you can offer.

Ryan

Fix the Juliets but dont send them to HQ, give them to X-Man to fix. As for the A wires... personally if the frames are good and you enjoy wearing them have someone cut some lenses for them

OK, thanks for the help guys. I was able to find lenses for the A-wires online, but not the green polarized like they came with. But I dont really like the fit of them anymore, the lenses seem so small. Maybe I could use them as prescription glasses.... But for sunglasses & shooting glasses I prefer my half-jackets, they fit comfortably and are so light but I guess the lenses probably arent much bigger than the A wires

Not sure if I'd wear the Juliets either once repaired, probably a little too flashy for me these days. But I thought sending them to Oakley would be best, if just for resell, since the work & parts would be factory original. Wouldnt a serious buyer/collector prefer that or is that not the case? I think they told me around $150 shipped for new polarized lenses and complete tune-up but the price thread here said they'd only be worth $200 complete with box?

I dont know who/what X-man is? Is that a member or website? Sorry, I'm not a collector or anything, I've just preferred Oakley glasses since I was 17-18 and still do some 29 years later! Even my script glasses (now that I am an old man!) are Cross-Link Switch (or whatever) but I dont know much about them, I just buy them & wear!

Those juliets frame would easily be worth $200 as is. I would sell em as-is just throw em on the exchange or on eBay. Let the buyer figure out if they want an HQ tuneup or the xman. It also frees up th ebuyer to the lenses they prefer. Personally, i would prefer an untouched pair where the screws/etc are still intact instead of a pair that may have been butchered because someone used the wrong bit.

Wow, dragon those are excellent points I didnt/wouldnt even think about, untouched screws, choosing lenses, etc. Man I really appreciate the info, thank you! I know I've never sent the juilets in to Oakley before. I think I did send the A Wire thick set in once and they came back so clean & pristine, I think they just sent a completely new set. So I always think about that when considering to send stuff to Oakley. I am going to take pics of everything in the next few days, a few people are showing interest & have asked me so maybe I will post the pics here too so it will be helpful for you to know more about what I am asking you guys.

One thing I noticed when I was looking pics of newer Juilets, the arms are different from mine, mine have like a zig-zag in them. I dont know if thats good or bad but obviously they changed them sometime?

And somewhere in the house I have two old sets of blades/razor blades too but I cant remember where I put them, probably in a box in the attic from when we moved like 9-10yrs ago. I got them way back in...shoot, I dont know for sure, maybe late 80's 90's? Anyway I remember one set was still complete and has all the papers & everything but the other set needed new lenses and when I called Oakley years ago they said they didnt make lenses for them anymore? But looks like they re-released the glasses a few years ago? I dont know but I sure wish I could find those old things, I see them in my old pics and it brings back good memories! (probably hidden somewhere with that old Marlin lever action 30-30 rifle I cant find either! I hope I find it all before I my teenage boys do! hahahaha)

Thanks again to everyone, I really, really appreciate it! Keep it coming!

Oh and thank to you also Kronin - your reply came in while I was typing my last one so I didnt see it til now. But thank you for the link! I'm at work so I only took a quick look at it, but now I'm wondering if I could have him put rose or yellow tinted prescription lenses in the juliets and then I could use them as shooting glasses!? Hmmmmmm.

I do alot of clay target shooting so I need good glasses but they get so freaking expensive! Right now I use my Half Jackets with persimmons lenses but I bet Id be the only one with some sweet Juliets!

Last edited:
Back