• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question about recent purchases threads

tigbball5

Oakley Expert
I currently have a thread that I made to show all my new purchases. Would it be wrong or not allowed to change the title every time I posted new items just so other people know what I got that was new. Such as "2014 Purchases: New Radarlocks and flak jackets" or something like that. Is there a limit for how many times I can change the title. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I currently have a thread that I made to show all my new purchases. Would it be wrong or not allowed to change the title every time I posted new items just so other people know what I got that was new. Such as "2014 Purchases: New Radarlocks and flak jackets" or something like that. Is there a limit for how many times I can change the title. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

It would be somewhat wrong for the following reason:

It's terrible for search results, both internally and externally. Search engines like Google, Yahoo etc. index a page based on its title, by constantly changing the title, you are essentially deleting the old copy and creating a new one in there mind. This is the same process for our search on OakleyForum.com. So if someone is searching for "Radarlocks" they will find your thread, and enjoy your pictures, but if you then change the title to "Jawbones", anyone searching for Radarlocks will not be able to find it.

This is a problem I see often, where members change titles of threads to "Sold", or other ambiguous words, which actually hurts more than it helps. There is a "Sold" prefix, and you can change that, instead of the title, which allows people to still see relevant information. Titles should be helpful to a reader, they should be relevant to the topic they discuss. But this is a rant for another thread. :)

Instead, if you would like to create relevant, searchable threads that help the community(and you should), simply create a new thread for each purchase. I.e One titles "Oakley Radarlocks Red/Blue Iridium Custom and Flak jackets", followed by another thread with your next purchase. This also makes it much easier for readers to find what they are interested in, rather than go through 40 pages of comments, just to find your purchases in it.

We definitely have an obsession on here with large threads, but what happens is, good content gets lost in them. No one can remember that the great Radarlock Pictures and review are in the thread titles "Flak Jackets". No harm is done by simply creating a new thread.

To summarize, it is not so much that it's wrong, more that is just less helpful in the manner you described.

Back