• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question About Recoating Lenses.

kodiak71

Oakley Beginner
Please correct me if this is in the wrong forum.

I made a big time boo boo! I used a cleaning solution with a chemical that my Oakly Off Line 2.0 non prescription slightly tinted lenses did not like. Long story short the coating started to "peel" away from the lense (at least that's what the optician said it looked like). They replaced the lenses (non Oakley) which I was pissed enough about but I understand that these are OOP with a 50% tint which is much more tinted than the original lenses were. I work in a hospital which has a ton of flourescant (sp?) lighting which my blue eyes don't like and if I wear these with the new tint they are going to think I'm on drugs because the tint makes them look more like sunglasses.

The question is: Does anyone know if Oakley would be able to recoat my old lenses even though they are out of production?

I know the first response will probably be "call them and ask" but you guys seem very knowledgeable about these things.

Thanks,

Paul

no, once lenses peel theyre gone. you wnt get the clarity back. what you can do is find a larger lens with the right tint that you want, and get it cut to size. thats the best option.

So I talked with the original optical store I bought them from and they said without seeing them they wouldn't be able to tell me. However they said they may be able to send them (frames and lenses) back to Oakley and they may be able to cut lenses to fit. Is this what you're talking about?

So I talked with the original optical store I bought them from and they said without seeing them they wouldn't be able to tell me. However they said they may be able to send them (frames and lenses) back to Oakley and they may be able to cut lenses to fit. Is this what you're talking about?

i would rather contact Dr. chop on this forum to get lenses cut. to be honest oakley WONT custom cut lenses for you. what probably WILL happen is they keep your frame and lens and issue you one of those 25% discount coupons - NOT WORTH IT imo, unless you think so.

Thanks BriP, if I send the frame and lenses back to Oakley via the optical shop I will specify to Oakley that they MUST send my frames back. They are quite possibly my favorite of the "prescription" frames. My favorite color is green and these are awesome. Thanks again for the tip but I'd hate to lose them forever. An extensive search of the interwebs has come up with nada, zip, zilch!

So what I guess I'm going to ask you now is which lens comes closest to the lense that fits those frames?

I'll do some searching myself but you guys are real pros here!

I LOVE THIS SITE!

dont bother searching the web, get in touch with Dr. Chop on THIS forum, he'll cut lenses for you. dont waste your time with HQ.

I actually pm'd him days ago and he never responded, he has been active on the forum since so he must not be interested.

Thanks for the tips though. I'm still going to take them back to the place I originally bought them from, after I get my money back for the crap the other place pulled on me tinting them at least twice what they were, and see what they can do for me. The girl who I spoke to was very nice and said she would do whatever she could for me (not quite sure what that all entails but I'm intruiged).

kodiak71 said:
I actually pm'd him days ago and he never responded, he has been active on the forum since so he must not be interested.

Thanks for the tips though. I'm still going to take them back to the place I originally bought them from, after I get my money back for the crap the other place pulled on me tinting them at least twice what they were, and see what they can do for me. The girl who I spoke to was very nice and said she would do whatever she could for me (not quite sure what that all entails but I'm intruiged).

I have the same problem. I realize he just got married and all, but I've pmd him and emailed him multiple times with no response, yet I see he's active on here or Facebook. Poor business strategy in my opinion. I've been trying to give him money for months now...must not want it.

Back