• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question on lens (I'm New to sunglasses)

Krummie

Oakley Beginner
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to sunglasses and bought my first pair online the other day. So I don't know the norms and such. Just moved to using contacts after most of my life wearing prescription glasses with transition lens.

I apologize ahead, but these are not Oakley's, but when I googled sunglasses forums this one was near the top, and this is a general question about sunglasses, not about brands.

The pair I got are polarized with a green tint. (Link to sunglasses). My question is the backend of the lens. It looks like they have a mirror effect to them. I'm not sure if it is an AR coating, a defect or something else. Is it normal to have that on the back on the lens? I don't notice any reflections or glare when wearing the sunglasses and having the sun infront of me. But when the sun is behind me, it does cause a glare inside that I can see.

Thanks, and I apologize again for this question being related to a different brand.

Pictures I took of the mirror effect on the back side of the lens.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Unfortunately lens technologies can be manufacturer-specific, and I'm not sure you'll find much Ray Ban lens expertise here.

I can say Oakley lenses have an AR coating on the inside of the lenses to reduce this effect, but no lens completely eliminates it with just a coating. Instead one should pick a frame that allows less light leakage, depending on face shape.

Good luck in your search for an answer.

Back