• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question: Prescription vs Sunglass Frames

Vaapad

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi all - a quick question that I'm sure has a quick answer:

Is there a difference between "Prescription Frames" one might find in an eyeglass store and the frames that come with Oakley's sunglasses?

In particular, I'm looking for an old pair of Square Wire 2.0 silver frames. I see sellers (on eBay for instance) selling Square Wire 2.0 sunglasses, and I see others selling Square Wire 2.0 prescription (Rx) frames. Is there a difference? Can I put a pair of sunglass lenses in prescription frames?

Thanks!

prescription RX frames are ready to accept RX lenses as Oakley has cataloged lens templates for the Oakley RX department to make scripted lenses. Some sunglasses frames are RX capable and are noted on the label. However, not all sunglasses have the RX capability - it means Oakley won't bother doing RX jobs on it because they don't have the lens templates for the lab to work with

Also just to further clarify, oakley has RX range of frames that are less wrapped and designed for generic RX lenses that can be fitted by any other non-Oakley labs. Think about Sculpt, Keel, etc.

The square wire 2.0 in your question is exactly the same to my knowledge. They're RX capable frames and comes from the sunglasses range.

If you look at another frame called Whisker, it is also another pair of high-wrap sunglasses that is RX capable. Oakley decided to make a special release of this frame called Whisker 6B which has slightly less wrap and can more easily accommodate scripts that were not possible on the original Whisker frame.

At one point Oakley had an RX Square wire 2.0. The base curve was lower than that of the sun frame.

You will see this periodically.

Current examples are the Whisker and Blender 6b.

Oakley has made RX specific versions of the Square Wire 2.0.

They currently produce the Whisker and Blender 6b with a lower base curve, to accept a wider RX range.

Back