• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions For Jim Jannard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim, it's totally awesome you're here. I don't have anything to ask, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time and effort to care about the little guys :)

It's awesome that you are here Jim! I just wanted to ask, will the Mad Science years come back, or is the creative era that produced OTT and X Metals gone for good? And by the way, you are a rock star Jim!

What's the best custom piece you've ever seen?

Did outside custom stuff ever influence a design or colorway?

What's the best custom piece you've ever seen?

Did outside custom stuff ever influence a design or colorway?
qtrain... I'm not sure what you are asking. The only influence I can think of for Mad Science is Metropolis and Blade Runner. But we developed a design language called "slogging" that was used on most of what we did before 2007.

Jim

Shoe One. The unsung hero.

The Shoe One was one of the most interesting things we ever did at Oakley. It was not a commercial success. It should have been.

The Shoe One had more inventions and features than any shoe ever made. It had a kevlar upper and kevlar impregnated outsole. It had a 3 point contact outsole. It is awesome.

I consider this shoe a commercial failure and a design success. It is one of the products I am most proud of.

If you consider yourself an Oakley collector and don't have a NIB Shoe One... I simply won't believe you.

Jim

So what comes first? The name or the design?

Also, what is the most "out there" idea you had that never made it to the public eye?

So what comes first? The name or the design?

Also, what is the most "out there" idea you had that never made it to the public eye?
Up to 2007... the design usually preceded the name. When I was at Oakley... the most "out there" designs went into production.

Jim

Jim, I know I have heard in numerous interviews and articles that you stated your biggest regret was taking Oakley public. Does that still stand today? And also, is there ever the potential of a Jannard based eyewear venture in the future? I know above you stated that you feel the designers may still have a few tricks up their sleeves, but it appears that creative flow is stiffled more by corporate logic rather than Jim logic of bucking the system.

I don't have a question at the moment. just wanted to say:

epic_zpsb814dc1b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back