• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions For Jim Jannard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Jim to the forum.. thanks for taking time out to join us and good luck on your quest to fill in the gaps in your museum. First off im sure the collectors out there would be glad to help you, and ive sent you a list of my NIB items you may be interested in.

As you stated in your collection thread, we should start a post to ask questions for you to answer as and when you are free to... well to make it easy, here it is. Fire away guys!

I'll start.. i have this pair in my possession... but i cant seem to find the history on it..

ca9c080b-02f9-cc59.jpg

Hi Jim,

Once again, thank you so much for joining!

I'm a huge fan of the X-Metal line and I was just wondering if you could give us some insight on what inspired you to create that line of eye wear? What were some of the biggest issues you had to tackle in the design/engineering process? What was the inspiration for the designs?

Thanks!

I was a big fan of titanium and no one had done Ti eyewear. I thought that combining Ti with sculpture would be a really great thing.

There were no factories doing what we wanted... so we bought a golf club casting company in Nevada and converted it to manufacturing Ti eyewear. Carlos was the single person that most contributed to this effort.

We were told by many that what we wanted to do was impossible. The idea of casting long and narrow parts (like the ear stems) was next to impossible. We ignored the warnings.

The next thing we had to contend with was making rigid pieces and putting them together in a flexible package. We used unobtanium "glue" to put everything together. This was one of the most difficult and wonderful programs ever done at Oakley.

Thank Peter, Hans, Lek, Colin, Chris, and many others for what is now one of the most collectible Oakley programs ever conceived.

Jim

welcome again and thanks for joining us. I am also a big fan of oakley specially x metal but how did you come up with design of every each model of it? it was trully amazing and until now the design of all the x metal was very stunning and a head turner and I always received compliments everytime I wear them. One thing that amazed me is the xyz optics that others don`t have. Once again Thank you for making them.

welcome again and thanks for joining us. I am also a big fan of oakley specially x metal but how did you come up with design of every each model of it? it was trully amazing and until now the design of all the x metal was very stunning and a head turner and I always received compliments everytime I wear them. One thing that amazed me is the xyz optics that others don`t have. Once again Thank you for making them.
We had a design philosophy called "SLOGGING". Spayed and logically offset geometry. That is the basis of all X-metal eyewear and many other models. I would explain it... but then others would know the secret. :)

Jim

I was a big fan of titanium and no one had done Ti eyewear. I thought that combining Ti with sculpture would be a really great thing.

There were no factories doing what we wanted... so we bought a golf club casting company in Nevada and converted it to manufacturing Ti eyewear. Carlos was the single person that most contributed to this effort.

We were told by many that what we wanted to do was impossible. The idea of casting long and narrow parts (like the ear stems) was next to impossible. We ignored the warnings.

The next thing we had to contend with was making rigid pieces and putting them together in a flexible package. We used unobtanium "glue" to put everything together. This was one of the most difficult and wonderful programs ever done at Oakley.

Thank Peter, Hans, Lek, Colin, Chris, and many others for what is now one of the most collectible Oakley programs ever conceived.

Jim
Do you and the group feel like you've accomplished everything you wanted with the X-Metal line or were there things that had to be left out because they simply were too difficult to be made a reality?

Crosshair is not a typical X-Metal in the sense that X-Metal is reserved for those models made at our Nevada factory... like Romeo, Juliet, XX, Penny, etc.

Jim
I know they are not Xmetals, sorry i need to clarify my question - i was curious to know how many Ti clear lenses were made for the Crosshair? i have not seen another one out there

or in a general sense, were there alot of unique lenses/colorways made that simply never saw the light of day in public?

Thank you Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back