• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

R1 nosebridge's screw broken & stuck - Help!

Linegear Japan

X-Metal Professional
Platinum Forum Sponsor
Premium Member
Lifetime Sponsor
Japan
Hi all,

Oh no not a stuck screw again, Linegear, you might say.... And no, it is not us. One of the customer was sending this frame in, and ask for help.

So what we got a first gen plasma R1, with a freshly stuck screw in the nosebridge, right side of the nosebridge to be exact. The screw didn't show any rust, but broken.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

We try to drill the whole night but no result. We are looking for any practical info, which might help to get it out and bring this beautiful R1 to life again, and hope this thread could be of help to everyone with a similar experience.

Thanks a ton.

Last edited:

This is how I fixed a very similar situation. It's called an EDM machine, and any machine shop that has one should be able to remove the screw and run a clean tap to remove the threads.

Drill and retap. Or if it's Xmetal finish then I can recommend a more mad science approach

Oh and you need proper tools to drill out screws or it won't work

Is there enough space to slot the stud and use a flat head screw driver on it ?
the remaining screw is kinda short to make a slot for a flat head screw driver. and we can't find any local machine shop for now.

@jdd32 : it is black titanium, not xmetal though. the drill and counter drill didn't create enough hole depth.

I wouldn't touch a job like that with a ten-foot pole because you have so much time in it and the customer wouldn't pay what you wanted to get that screw out.

yeah, that is the point, we use all equipment, and a lot of time, and keep thinking how much this labor cost.... we only do it because we care and friendship...

Back