1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. X-Metal Beast

X-Metal Beast Oakley Expert Premium Member

I have an R1 serialized plasma that I got on eBay, and an R1 2nd gen Titanium warranty pair that I got in the forum 6 months ago. Both have mint OEM lenses, I haven't taken them apart, and both look untouched. But a well known forum member pointed out that the frame holding the Fire lenses is actually the titanium, and the one with Gold is plasma. Can we get some clarification here from the experts please?
    Thanks in advanced

@Funky-Trixtar @kronin323 @LinusOBerlin @THE X-MAN @xmetalmaniac @dragonvoi @pjd1234 @Dnkeyhnter @saulsaul

R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093456.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093512.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093557.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093628.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093720.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 20160511_093749.jpg R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - 1462975054901-1170672295.jpg

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

It is always a tricky subject identifying plasma/titanium frames from photographs in bright light and is a far easier task in the flesh.
    From my experience, you will easily identify a Plasma frame as silver in colour, whether this is slighly less polished with the earlier gens or highly with the later a serials.
    The titaniums are non silver to the eye. The early ones are a milky whitish finish and have a notable texture to the finish where the later versions are a deeper grey and have the same smooth texture as a plasma.

3. X-Metal Beast

So by looking at these pictures there's not enough to tell which of the 2 is plasma and which is 2nd generation titanium?

4. mjt42

mjt42 Oakley Expert Premium Member

it looks like the plasma pair has rootbeer rubber where oem would have been black. maybe swap the lenses and rubbers between pairs..?

Sent from my Nokia 5210 using TapaTalk

X-Metal Beast likes this.
  5. discostu

I would hazard that silver looking pair is a plasma, but identifying a titanium is more tricky in the bright light.

You could swap them over no problem. The rubbers are a very good indication of the original frame combination so this muddies the waters ...

If you can take good photos in good light but not overly bright, it may be easier.

6. X-Metal Beast

Here are some more pictures in lower light. These pairs came from different people, exactly as you see them in the pictures, the serialized frame with fire and black rubbers, and the non serialized with gold and rootbeer

R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - IMG_4393.JPG R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - IMG_4394.JPG R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - IMG_4395.JPG R1 Plasma vs R1 2nd gen Titanium - help - IMG_4396.JPG

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  7. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

This ^^^

Yeah it can be hard to tell them apart, especially in pics, but the one with the gold lenses does look more plasma than Ti. At least in those pics it does.

8. YakuzaFloralGangsta

YakuzaFloralGangsta R1 Ninja Premium Member Lifetime Member

As far as I would say is, that the one from the pics with fire lenses are the Plasma R1.
    The warrant frame of the TI is exactly looking like that with the gold lenses and that's the issue with the TI that they do look different to the first gen TI

9. discostu

Sorry to say that even with those photos, it is so difficult to tell properly and as Kronin has said, the gold pair does look plasma, but also in a certain light appears like a later get Ti.

YakuzaFloralGangsta likes this.
  10. David_Oakley

David_Oakley Oakley Enthusiast

Nice pairs @MSTech . They do look very similar and this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam :)

I will say that in your particular case, the Plasma frame finish looks to have more of a "matte" sheen compared to the 2nd gen Ti. Your plasma frame actually looks close to the mythological "1st gen bone finish Plasma R1" that no one has been able to show an example of to my knowledge.

It's a nice finish. Most plasma R1s (mine included) have the shiny sheen much like the 2nd gen Ti and that makes it extremely difficult to discern the two.

But generally, the Plasma frames just have a slightly lighter silver appearance compared to the darker Ti from my experiences.

saulsaul, discostu and X-Metal Beast like this.