• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radar And M Frame: What Lens To Buy?

The Raven

Oakley Beginner
I'm having trouble deciding what lenses are best suited for my Radars and M Frames. Here are the intended application:

Radar - this is my watersports frame...I have a Black Iridium Polarized lens right now and it's AWESOME on the water, however I know I should have something for not-perfectly-sunny days, maybe a VR28? What other lenses would you folks suggest for a frame that is primarily used on the water?

M-Frame - This is my MTB frame...right now it has a Fire Iridium lens in it, which is really nice for riding because it does a great job of cutting brightness without making it impossible to see in the shade. What other lenses would be best for this application?

I'm having trouble deciding what lenses are best suited for my Radars and M Frames. Here are the intended application:

Radar - this is my watersports frame...I have a Black Iridium Polarized lens right now and it's AWESOME on the water, however I know I should have something for not-perfectly-sunny days, maybe a VR28? What other lenses would you folks suggest for a frame that is primarily used on the water?

M-Frame - This is my MTB frame...right now it has a Fire Iridium lens in it, which is really nice for riding because it does a great job of cutting brightness without making it impossible to see in the shade. What other lenses would be best for this application?

I ride with +Red lenses in my Flak Jackets... They work real well in the shade! Where do you ride?
You gotta check out Mt. Penn in Reading if you haven't already!

I would stick with a polarized on the water, and in lieu of polarized definitely try to stick with an iridium coating to help decrease glare. Even though the sun might not be out, the water is being lit and reflecting light back into your eyes, polarization makes a difference on water. Anything will be better than nothing, however. I'd say VR28 or Grey polarized, but there are very limited choices for polarized Radars. Those two are my favorite lenses for changing conditions because they're both on the lighter side, but will help minimize the amount of glare that hits you if the sun pops out.

For the trails I'd say you could comfortably use VR28. It's a nice balance between dark and light, produces a great level of contrast etc. I've used plain VR28 on a lake on a sunny day (brought the wrong pair) but after my eyes adjusted it wasn't too bad. Glare spots still hurt, but the lens isn't too dark that walking to the woods and riding in the vans didn't require removing my glasses. Any of the 15% or higher tints would likely work well. G20, VR28, +Red, VR28 Blue, VR28 Black

I ride with +Red lenses in my Flak Jackets... They work real well in the shade! Where do you ride?
You gotta check out Mt. Penn in Reading if you haven't already!

That's one of my problems, I grew up in the lehigh valley, riding at Jacobsburg and the Lehigh Trails...now that i've moved out here to Fleetwood, I always find myself going back to the LV to ride, (i've been to Bear Creek a few times too)...but I have no idea where the good trails are in this area.

I think the +Red lens is very similiar to the Fire lens, so I've got that area covered with my current lens. I just wondered if there was anything better or something else I should have in the arsenal for varying conditions.

That's one of my problems, I grew up in the lehigh valley, riding at Jacobsburg and the Lehigh Trails...now that i've moved out here to Fleetwood, I always find myself going back to the LV to ride, (i've been to Bear Creek a few times too)...but I have no idea where the good trails are in this area.

I think the +Red lens is very similiar to the Fire lens, so I've got that area covered with my current lens. I just wondered if there was anything better or something else I should have in the arsenal for varying conditions.

There are sooo many good trails in SE Berks!

Look into French Creek, Blue Marsh, Neversink and Mt. Penn... Bear Creek is cool too.
Blue Marsh is probably the closest to you... 28mi of trails (mostly XC oriented)
Frenck Creek is pretty similar to Bear Creek but is rated as some of the best riding in PA...

I ride Neversink Mountain (in Mt. Penn the town) every Tuesday... and Mt. Penn (the mountain) every Sunday.
You're more than welcome to tag along... Mt. Penn has no existing trail map and requires a local. (It's pretty easy to get lost)

Neversink Mountain has a trail map available here... http://berks-conservancy.org/Portals/0/pdf/NMPbrochure_1mb.pdf

You can also check out my Garmin routes...

Neversink-
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146165724

Mt. Penn-
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145282758

About the M-Frames... I think +Red is a much lighter tint than Fire. I have both for my Flaks and prefer +Red... VR28, G20 and Persimmon would work well too...

I usually use HI Persimmon for MTB, as most of the trails are in the woods, and even on a really bright day, it's not bright on the trails. Otherwise, VR28 on trails that are under less dense tree cover.

Ok so the M frame choice sounds easy...I have Fire and Persimmon, so i'm ordering VR28 to round out the collection. I had a hunch that VR28 was the lens to go with, but I wanted to get more expert opinions. :cool:

How about OO Polarized Red Iridium for the Radars? I'm fine with the idea of going with another Polarized lens on a frame that is only ever going to see on-the-water use...but I already have the Black Iridium Polarized, so I want something less powerful for the not-as-sunny days. According to Oakley, the OO Polarized lenses are lighter. Anyone have experience with these?

Back